Pass Pearl PCBs and related parts

luvdunhill

Nice case! They look nicer in your picture than on the website. Hopefully I can find a decent enclosure locally.

dude you totally blew your cover.. anyways, just give them a call and order on your own, or go with the case that DigiPete is proposing.

one brief update... after a small embarrassing mistake, I stuffed 6 boards this weekend with the required resistors... according to Mikhail's math, this should be perfect for a Quadraphonic setup. :) Anyways, couldn't help myself...

The plan at this point is to work on matching the Toshiba transistors and then if I haven't heard anything from Digikey by Wednesday, just go with the slightly higher tolerance capacitors and be done with it. I hope to get the parts by Saturday, if I play my cards correctly.

I'm hoping you'll have your kits by sometime next week.

oh yea, I kind of forgot..

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm talking with a local DIYer and he might be able to reccomend me some local stores with enclosures that could work. Building a stereo phono preamp requires precisely matched parts so I should be fine with the kit you're putting together right?

so, the 1% TH parts are being discontinued by Panasonic in favor of some 5% SMT parts... lame.. so, the substitute for P3884-ND was P3931-ND which are 2% parts and I added an extra 50% to the quantity to give me a few to match with. The order is being filled at the moment and I hope to have the parts and the kits shipped by the end of the weekend.

To answer Nenso's question, I'm probably not the best person to ask if the parts chosen are high quality and well matched, as I'm putting the kits together. Of course I think this is the case :)

I will say that this project should out-class everyone's table/arm/cartridge on this thread, mine included, and I can let you know how it compares to my Xono.

The Gods are a fickle bunch my friend.

they indeed are... today the parts arrived.... a lot of parts... then I figured, screw you guys I'm going to go work on my own projects and pack this stuff later... then my heating element went out in my soldering iron :(

But they seem to have a sense of justice. Maybe not. At least they have a sense of humor.

they indeed are... today the parts arrived.... a lot of parts... then I figured, screw you guys I'm going to go work on my own projects and pack this stuff later... then my heating element went out in my soldering iron :(

Yes, God sent you a message after the 'screw your buddies' thought came into your head :D

I hope you guys can take some pictures of your building progress.

sure, I'll try and document things...

I'm done counting out most of the parts. The caps larger items are proving quite bulky to pack. I'm going to go to the post office and get some flat rate boxes tomorrow, as these kits definitely have some heft to them.

sure, I'll try and document things...

I'm done counting out most of the parts. The caps larger items are proving quite bulky to pack. I'm going to go to the post office and get some flat rate boxes tomorrow, as these kits definitely have some heft to them.

Awesome :) Thanks again for doing the group buy.

Does anyone know if the gain is adjustable on this phono stage?

Also what are the 9v inputs for (battery powered mode?)

Nope, not without doing some serious recalculation of most of the resistor and capacitor values.

The 9v battery inputs look to me like an optional replacement of the 1n4739 zener diode, for if you have objections to these parts. This is used as a voltage reference for the regulator. That said, this is just my guess looking at the schematic, which doesnt make it clear.

Nope, not without doing some serious recalculation of most of the resistor and capacitor values.

The 9v battery inputs look to me like an optional replacement of the 1n4739 zener diode, for if you have objections to these parts. This is used as a voltage reference for the regulator. That said, this is just my guess looking at the schematic, which doesnt make it clear.

yup, the battery is used as a reference.

Anyone doing dual transformers in the PSU?

Or any other trick mods?

yes, there are 2 people doing dual transformers.. me with the ghetto ones from surplus sales that are posted in this thread (still haven't figured out which set of wires is the primary and which is the secondary) and swt61, assuming he can shoe-horn 2 donuts in the case somewhere :)

trick mods? hm.. you could look at lowering the JFET degeneration resistors and playing with bias points... perhaps add a choke in the power supply somewhere... uh, I dunno...