Pass Pearl PCBs and related parts

luvdunhill

check out the manual I posted above. It has everything you need, including very detailed instructions and even a bill of materials. I'd say that this would definitely qualify as a beginner project, as things are presented well in the documentation, and there is a large support forum for this particular project.

I would say anything above the 0.4mV range would work, depending on how much gain you have in your preamp / headphone amp. I'd say that qualifies for most cartridges, as the ones that go lower (i.e. 0.24mV and less) do have alternative models in this range.

I'm sure it will compete well with some units over the $1k (used) mark, but I wouldn't say all. For example, you can get an older Pass Ono for around $1k (used) that will sound better and perhaps some of the low end EAR tube phono stages might give this a run for its money (I personally wouldn't take the EAR over the Pearl, but many will argue with me on that point, so I give that example as simply another popular phono pre in this price range).

I see..., you see I'm still level 1 so I think I should go pick up some cmoy kits first... I just don't know where to start DIY. The only thing I can do is solder.
I have no idea whether or not you're serious but if you are go to Tangentsoft and read the entire getting started in audio diy article. Then read the Cmoy tutorial, build 4 or 5 at least two of which should use an alternate board scheme from the tutorial and should incorporate more complex ideas (like adding a TLE) or second opamp stage. Once you get those done move onto something small link the PIMETA and add a regulated DC power supply and things like switchable inputs.

Until you do all that, no more questions on how to start in DIY.

yes, that's the plan.

I may be doing a group buy for the Linear Systems JFETs, assuming there is enough demand. These will work fine with these boards if you cannot come across the Toshiba parts.

Are those Jfets available yet? I'm in for a group buy.

yes, I'm heading up a group buy for the Linear parts.

Otherwise, you can get the Toshiba parts here for a good price:

2SK170; 2SK170BL Toshiba Low Noise JFET - Buy Online @ AmpsLab

You'll have to match 2 of them to make the dual 2sk389...

Matched Toshiba available here. This is jackinnj from DIY audio's store; I've ordered from him before and got what I was after, so should be good.

Matched Toshiba available here. This is jackinnj from DIY audio's store; I've ordered from him before and got what I was after, so should be good.

good catch. I should have recommended Jack as well. I need to make it rain where he lives,, as he said that's when he'll start matching the Fairchild devices he's selling for the F5. I'd like to stick them in my F4, as they're better than the IR devices IMHO. Any ideas? The Russian and Chinese can control the weather, so I should be able to...