Pass Pearl PCBs and related parts

luvdunhill

yes, input resistance and capacitance are user definable. The circuit uses split-RIAA. The second stage has 30dB gain. The first is 29dB minus the RIAA EQ... .. so around 60dB.

Here's an excerpt from the service manual:

"The phono stage was tested on two different systems with a Grado

Sonata (47 Kohms load), a Kiseki Lapus Lazuli (100 ohms load),

and a Sumiko Celebration (1000 ohms load) cartridges all of which

have outputs in the range of 400 to 500 microvolts.

The circuit was quiet and had sufficient gain. A subjective

consensus has it that the phono stage offered precise imaging and

spatial placement and good depth. Compared with the Xono, the

Pass Labs reference, it was slightly noisier, and had less gain.

From a sonic standpoint, it acquitted itself well in comparison,

lacking only slightly in dynamics."

So will this work properly with both MM and MC carts, or does the circuit need tweaking to adjust the gain for one or the other?

it has fixed gain and will work with MC down to 0.4mV-0.5mV. With MM carts you'll have have that much more gain. No problem with that. The Grado Sonata mentioned is what, 4-5mV MI output? It's been a while since I owned one. I'm planning on using a 2.5-3mV high output MM cartridge.

Looking at the schematic and the manual, it looks like R27 is the input loading resistor, and is spec'd at 47K. It looks like there is an R1 (also marked RX) position on the board which is in parallel to R27. You could place resistors or caps or both here to adjust the cartridge loading.

I plan on getting an MC cartridge with 2.2mv output.

How do you adjust the input impeadance of the Pearl to match the cartridge being used? Or is there any need to?

with the denon DL-110 it would be ideal to match the loading closer to 1K (some even suggest a bit lower) for correct damping of it's hi-frequency range.

Looking at the schematic and the manual, it looks like R27 is the input loading resistor, and is spec'd at 47K. It looks like there is an R1 (also marked RX) position on the board which is in parallel to R27. You could place resistors or caps or both here to adjust the cartridge loading.

When I get the specs on my cartridge, I'll prevail upon you smart guys to help me determine those resistors/caps to match my cartridge :)

close, but no cigar :)

well, lemme qualify that... if it's like the Xono, then note where the words "jumper" appear on the silk ...

it'll be easy to adjust the loading.

close, but no cigar :)

well, lemme qualify that... if it's like the Xono, then note where the words "jumper" appear on the silk ...

it'll be easy to adjust the loading.

See em now. There are 2 capacitor locations marked CX each with a location marked jumper plus a jumper location for resistor RX to patch it in parallel with R27 I assume. Neither of which are documented in the manual.

See em now. There are 2 capacitor locations marked CX each with a location marked jumper plus a jumper location for resistor RX to patch it in parallel with R27 I assume. Neither of which are documented in the manual.

yup!

here's some extra credit: what's the optional 9v battery input for?

hint: it's not documented in the manual either.

edit: I guess it's on the schematic... oh well...

payment sent...sorry for the delay ;)

Cheers.

boards have been ordered.

On the subject of parts, since there's a relatively low number of boards (8 stereo sets) and I'm such a great guy, I'd consider tracking down (some if not all) the parts for people if there's interest. My strategy at this point is to wait on the boards to see if slightly larger parts will fit in a few locations, and then wait until the end of the month when parts connexion announces their next monthly sale. If it's resistors, then that would be a score... and less of a score if capacitors, but anyways. In the meantime I'll get the boards and order the rest of the parts from Digikey.

If you're interested in this, then I'll charge you for the Digikey parts once I place the order and then a separate payment for the partsConnexion order.

now we wait....

cheers!

mods:

can we move this to the DIY forum and retitle the thread?

I did some research on the transformer today, and here are some options:

- Plitron transformer (part number #017017201) 30VAC @ 0.5A 30VA

qty 1 = $64.21 US + $23.46 US shipping ($87.67 US each)

qty 5 = $304.35 US + $33.89 US shipping ($67.78 US each)

- Ebay R-Core transformer (R80-35 0-28-35 X2(1A)、0-5 (3A).0-12 X2(2A))

100W R-Core Transformer 110V//240V ,Pre amplifier / DAC - eBay (item 250259952059 end time Jul-16-08 01:25:05 PDT)

qty 1 = $83.00 US shipped

- Avel Y236107

qty 1 = $22.47 + $11.39 shipping ($33.86 each)

qty 5 = $21.35 + $13.55 shipping ($24.06 each)

Moved.

You need to let me know what you'd like the thread title to be.

Also, you might have a look at sumr transformers. My custom unit for a beta22 will be in this week and I can that up to this point the service has been great.

I have dual Avel Lindbergs for my Dynamite PSU and they work just fine,

not sure there is anything to be gained with more expensive toroids.

Now a mag sheilded toroid may be of some use in this application...

Now a mag sheilded toroid may be of some use in this application...

That's exactly the kind of thing that sumr can offer, for a lot less money that plitron or Avel for that matter. In truth I've only spoken with Avel about custom one-off trafos before, maybe with a group of some size their shielded options would be more affordable? In terms of stock prices you're right, Avel is probably the best option.

That's exactly the kind of thing that sumr can offer, for a lot less money that plitron or Avel for that matter. In truth I've only spoken with Avel about custom one-off trafos before, maybe with a group of some size their shielded options would be more affordable? In terms of stock prices you're right, Avel is probably the best option.

I'd be in favor of a single trafo powering both boards, vs. dual trafos with about a 50-65% loading.