Vinyl rig dust-off

DigiPete

Ok, after the wife of all people told me to get the records and turntable out, not used since the 80's... here is where we stand, remember this was bought on a high school/college student budget...

Technics SL-D3 mechanically still works

technics_sl-d3.jpg

Cartridge: ADC PSX-30 stylus is slightly bent

Denon 3806 Receiver has phono input (MM type?)

Where do I start to get going fast, and get the most improvement for the least $$ ??

I am thinking a new cartridge may be the first step....

Suggestions?? New name (analPete??) :D

correction stylus in now broken after I tried to straighten it...

a new cartridge it is.

What is a good sweet spot price/performance wise for a cartridge, assuming I may step up to a fairly decent phono-preamp later on?

Is $200 a much better spot soundwise, or do you have to go much higher?

M97xE for $55.87 with free shipping from Amazon

Denon DL-110 for $139.99 with free shipping from Amazon

Audio Technica AT-150MLX for $249.99 with free shipping from J&R

i've tried quite a few carts and settled on the DL-110. if you google it, you'll find great reviews on it. i want to get the AT-150MLX because i've also read fantastic things about it.

edit...

to get the best out of these carts they need to be loaded properly. based on my research this is likely true with most carts. the denon is one that can really shine, if it's loaded right.

Edited by 909
added something more...

denon carts FTW. I've settled on the DL-103 because it was designed in the 50s and is still manufactured today; a product with that kind of longevity appeals to me. Problem with the DL-103 is you need either an MC capable phono or a step-up. So for your purposes a higher output denon like the 110 909 suggested is a better idea.

I've never heard the M97xE, but some people swear buy it. IIRC its supposedly a great tracker and very neutral. Damn at that price maybe I should try it.

I got the Shure cart that 909 posted. It's nice. LFF recommended it to me. Very natural and neutral.

I've never heard the M97xE, but some people swear buy it. IIRC its supposedly a great tracker and very neutral. Damn at that price maybe I should try it.

do so. immediately.

Thanks guys....

Decisions decisions.....

What should I get for a decent basic vinyl and stylus cleaner?

For the stylus, Onzow Zerodust is the way to go. Spendy, but its the easiest way to clean your stylus. Others swear by Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. A google should bring up some info on how to use it to clean your stylus. I messed up a stylus trying to use it, but really it was my fault. Still I went to Zerodust and never looked back.

For vinyl cleaning, I don't know much about non-machine cleaning methods. I can heartily recommend Nitty Gritty machines though.

Is the disk doctor stuff well thought of anymore? Was it ever well thought of?

I bought that stuff (a pair of LP pads, the fluid, etc.) a few years ago and have used it sparingly, but it seemed to work well. Not as easy as a machine, but not bad.

I use the disc doctor pads and "quick wash" fluid. I don't actually use the full strength fluid in the manner he tells you to, I just wash it with the quick wash and immediately vacuum clean. Works fine for me. Can't say if it works any better or worse then nitty gritty fluid.

Ok, so I'm hearing

AT440MLa

DL-103

DL-110

AT-150MLX a bit of a step-up in price.

IF I choose between the 110 and the 440MLa, which would be better?

Will all of these work properly with my turntable tonearm and receiver? Not getting a preamp or other TT for a while.

IF I choose between the 110 and the 440MLa, which would be better?

Will all of these work properly with my turntable tonearm and receiver? Not getting a preamp or other TT for a while.

both carts are really very good especially for the price and if loaded properly and matched properly to the arm. though and i am biased, based on my research all things equal i'd vote for the 110 as it might be better balanced, a little more polite so to speak and less prone to brightness. i believe that is one of the biggest and most common criticisms leveled against the 440. the most important thing to look at are the specs of your receiver because your arm is likely good to go with all. you might be better suited to go with a MM instead of MC, which would put you into either the Shure or the Audio Technica(s) as those might be a better match with your receiver than the finicky and less output denon. i'd spend the extra cash and get the 150 as it has received high praise on quite a few threads, smoother top end and most prefer it over the 440.

i'd call J&R and find out how long...

if you can't wait here's a Las Vegas dealer selling it for $259.95 plus shipping. i indirectly bought from him a few years ago without a problem. his prices are reasonable -- his policies are wacky nor do I think some of them would hold up if you needed to contest the sale with your credit card. just read the small print and beware especially of the restocking fees.

i wouldn't touch the stylus with anything, but a dry brush before play that's supplied with most, if not all, carts. if you want to get a little more exotic try the Mobile Fidelity LP-9 cleaner between use. imo, the absolute best way to take care of your stylus is to clean your records really well before the stylus touches them.

Unfortunately, dry brushing is not adequate. I have a friend that owns a stylus microscope and routinely does maintenance for high end cartridges, and he often services styli for customers who do not use something like magic eraser or zerodust and says that the diamond (and cantilevers) always have solidified plasticizer and other particulates that are impossible to totally remove, thus ultimately damaging the vinyl itself.

If you'd like his contact information I can give it to you.

Is the disk doctor stuff well thought of anymore? Was it ever well thought of?

I bought that stuff (a pair of LP pads, the fluid, etc.) a few years ago and have used it sparingly, but it seemed to work well. Not as easy as a machine, but not bad.

FWIW, all the bakeoffs I've seen that are conducted even in a semi-scientific manner for best fluid (going back 25 years ago), the winners have been RRL and Nitty Gritty fluids.