Do you have a workout routine?

saint.panda

Lately I've been trying to follow the push-up routine from one hundred push ups, which sounds like a good idea: 100 push-ups within a couple of weeks. Let's see if it works out (I started out at 19 max).

Do you have a workout routine you use or can recommend, especially to gain some upper body strength and mass? Not trying to look good on the beach (there's isn't one here anyway), just want a more healthy mix between an underdeveloped upper body and soccer-abused lower body.

i try and do 12 oz curls for 30-40 minutes every night.

Back when I was in the army, I just did pushups and pullups 10-20x a day and it seemed to work pretty well. Just whenever you have a little time and opportunity, do a few

Go to the gym.

I go 3-4 times a week. You can choose when to do what, but my general routine is...

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps

• Flat Bench
  • Incline Bench
  • Decline Bench
  • Flyes
  • Tricep Pushdown
  • Reverse Pushdown
  • Overhead Tricep Extension
  • Tricep Kickback

Day 2 - Back and Biceps
    • Cable Row
    • Bent Over Row
    • Hyperextension
    • Lateral Pulldown
    • Deadlift
    • Shrugs
    • Close Grip Barbell Curls
    • Wide Grip Barbell Curls

Day 3 - Shoulders and Forearms

• Shoulder Press
      • Side Lateral Raise
      • Bent Over Side Lateral Raise
      • Back Flyes
      • Wrist Curls
      • Palms Down Wrist Curl
      • Palms Up Wrist Curl
      • Reverse Barbell Curl

Day 4 - Legs

[*]Squat

[*]Standing Leg Curl

[*]Calf Raise

I don't do much for legs, just the basics. Most of the time, I throw them in with during one of the first 3 days. I also don't concentrate on any ab work. I honestly only do ab workouts while I'm waiting for someone else to finish using the machine/weights/area.

Do some cardio, I walk/jog about 3 miles each of the days I hit the gym, and do a bit less (about 1 mile) on days I don't.

Eat your vitamins and drink your whey protein shakes, lol. Eat healthy and control your portions. Stay hydrated and don't over exert yourself.

I started this routine 3 weeks ago and it's a compiled routine from 3 friends of mine who are all personal trainers. I kind of picked and chose what I wanted, but all 3 of them ok'd this routine.

At the gym (once every two days), I do:

- 10 minutes of warm-up on the treadmill

- couple of different machines for bodybuilding (2 series of 12 with max charge)

- 10 minutes of hardcore treadmill to keep my heartbeat high

- 10 minutes of elliptical trainer

- stretching exercises

I also play one or two games of squash every week.

Seems like a combination of pushups, pullups and some situps should do the trick. Thanks for the tips.

As effective as it might be, I'm not really a fan of the gym, and most of all I don't think I could muster the motivation and/or discipline to go there on a regular basis. I'd rather play soccer or squash if I have the time, and don't need a lot of muscles anyway.

Here's my workout:

Day 1:

Squats (5x5)

Power Cleans (6, 4, 4, 2)

Incline Bench (5x5)

Pull-ups (3x12)

Day 2:

Deadlifts (5x5)

Power Snatch (6, 4, 4, 2)

Decline Bench (5x5)

Flat Bench (7x2)

Day 3:

Power Snatch (6, 4, 4, 2)

Good-Mornings (3x8)

Bent-over Rows (3x8)

Flat Bench or Dips (7x2/3x12)

That's the general outline I follow, but I will sometimes move exercises around depending on how sore I am. I used to kickbox 3-4 times a week on top of lifting at the gym, but stopped for a while due to some injuries. I also throw in some ab work and cardio usually once a week.

Are you able to access a gym? Having access to free weights would really help train your upper body strength. I would recommend deadlifts, olympic lifts, and benching (I know, no bench).

I don't get your #'s. 5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps? What I'm most curious about is your flat bench. 7x2? 7 sets of 2 reps? 2 sets of 7 reps?

I try to keep the workouts isolated and so that by the 3rd day, the soreness is mostely gone from the first day as some of the workouts end up using the same muscles. Also, a key factor to the routine is to not mix your pull workouts with your push workouts.

It's nice that everybody is telling you what they do. However, what they do may or may not work for you. I suggest that you buy several sessions with a physical trainer, who will assess your current condition and what you are trying to accomplish, and then come up with a program customized for you.

I think you just start out light and see what you're personally capable of. It's natural to have decently strong biceps and triceps, and it's also natural for people to have a very weak chest. You have to develop muscles like your pecks because you naturally don't use them much compared to muscles on your arms. So keep that in mind if/when you start benching.

I worked my way up to about 8 exercises per workout day. I started doing about 4 or 5, and not even finishing all 3 sets. I needed to work on my muscle stamina, and going for the past 3 weeks has done that while getting a bit stronger.

It's hard to start hitting the gym, but once you do, it's pretty fun.

The best chest workout I ever had was raking several acres worth of soggy leaves in the fall for a neighbor. It was several weeks worth of leaves, and they were all soaking wet. I could barley drag the bags to the front of the yard for pickup without breaking them.

The entire process took at least 3 or 4 days, and I was extremely sore by the end, right in the center of my chest. My arms hurt too, but nothing like my chest.

I don't get your #'s. 5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps? What I'm most curious about is your flat bench. 7x2? 7 sets of 2 reps? 2 sets of 7 reps?

I try to keep the workouts isolated and so that by the 3rd day, the soreness is mostely gone from the first day as some of the workouts end up using the same muscles. Also, a key factor to the routine is to not mix your pull workouts with your push workouts.

Yep, 5 sets of 5 reps. I used to do 5x5 flat bench as well, but decided to experiment a bit along with my kickboxing. I used to do a similar routine as yours, but found that it was too inhibiting for other activities and my numbers were hitting a plateau. I would do a "chest" day and the next day I'd go kickboxing and my punching would suffer. I've had pretty good success with this routine.

What is the reasoning behind not mixing your pull and push workouts? I have never read that before. Any reading material?