RSA B52 or Single Power ES1?

shinichi

It works as a passive preamp but I doubt many amps would appreciate the high voltage output... :palm:

Umm ... there is no high voltage output on the pre-outs of my ES-1 :confused: (measurements not suppositions) :palm::palm::palm: That's probably the reason it took so long for me to receive it ;)

I think what he's saying is that there would have to be a separate amp section that would handle pre-amp duties if it were an active pre-amp... The amp section of an electrostat amp isn't suited to that. Otherwise, as a passive pre-amp, all it does is attenuate input (and possibly select inupts).

I think what he's saying is that there would have to be a separate amp section that would handle pre-amp duties if it were an active pre-amp... The amp section of an electrostat amp isn't suited to that. Otherwise, as a passive pre-amp, all it does is attenuate input (and possibly select inupts).

if such a thing really exists, it's absolutely stupid and would have all sorts of impedance issues for both the power amplifier and the electrostatic amplifier.

OK, I guess I was being too subtle (Note to self: Don't hang around Ingwe as much at meets). Look at the excerpt below, keeping in mind that English does not appear to be Shinichi's native language:

The RSA B-52 may be used as a headphone amp and as a preamp. So may a few other brands, such as most Headroom amps.

The TTVJ 307A is JUST a headphone amp. It cannot perform the duties of a preamp as it does not have the outputs to drive a speaker amp.

An electrostatic headphone amp cannot be used as a preamp due to its topology.

While the last statement is technically true it does not really get at the OP's real question. It obfuscates the issue and makes it seem that there are no electrostatic amplifiers that also have preamplifier CIRCUITRY in the box as well. In fact you can build a box that has both preamp functionality and headphone amp functionality whether the headphone circuitry is meant for dynamic or electrostatic phones. A case in point is my ES-1 which has additional preamp circuitry. There is no such thing as a standard ES-1 so making blanket statements about the ES-1 will result in a probability of 1 that you are incorrect.

Also it appears that some people are claiming that a preamp has to be active to be a preamp (but maybe the communication is just unclear). But if that is the case I completely disagree with that statement.

That being said I would also add my voice to not buying a new ES-1 at this point because of business issues at Singlepower. Only buy a used one if , again at this point in time, you can fix it yourself or can get it fixed locally. As far as the sound, I like it but you may not so you have to decide that one on your own.

I would suggest the same as far as the B52: Decide for yourself if you like the sound, unless you think people posting here know what you like better than you do. As far as customer service RSA has very few complaints so that is unlikely to be an issue.

We have a winner!! It is possible to put a transformer on the electrostatic output to bring the voltage down again but I can only see one reason for doing so and that has nothing to do with preamp duties.

While the last statement is technically true it does not really get at the OP's real question. It obfuscates the issue and makes it seem that there are no electrostatic amplifiers that also have preamplifier CIRCUITRY in the box as well. In fact you can build a box that has both preamp functionality and headphone amp functionality whether the headphone circuitry is meant for dynamic or electrostatic phones. A case in point is my ES-1 which has additional preamp circuitry. There is no such thing as a standard ES-1 so making blanket statements about the ES-1 will result in a probability of 1 that you are incorrect.

Also it appears that some people are claiming that a preamp has to be active to be a preamp (but maybe the communication is just unclear). But if that is the case I completely disagree with that statement.

Pics please as it is most likely just a shared connection of the stepped attenuator. From the pics I've seen of the exterior of your amp it has no extra tubes like that SP dual purpose amp which does indeed have a preamp in the same box.

Pics please as it is most likely just a shared connection of the stepped attenuator.

I have already agreed to send some HiRez pics to KG when I open up my amp and PS. So I will take one picture of the whole board in each box and then four separate ones of each quadrant with some overlap. It will probably be some time next week at this point but he can probably host them and then we can certainly continue the discussion concerning this particular amp. I look forward to it.

P.S. There are actually two seperate volume controls on this amp. The two stepped attenuators and then a digital volume control which is separate from that.

I have already agreed to send some HiRez pics to KG when I open up my amp and PS. So I will take one picture of the whole board in each box and then four separate ones of each quadrant with some overlap. It will probably be some time next week at this point but he can probably host them and then we can certainly continue the discussion concerning this particular amp. I look forward to it.

I'll wait for the pics then.

P.S. There are actually two seperate volume controls on this amp. The two stepped attenuators and then a digital volume control which is separate from that.

That makes more sense but can you control the volume of the ES-1 (electrostatic portion that is) with both controls?

That makes more sense but can you control the volume of the ES-1 (electrostatic portion that is) with both controls?

Funny, that makes far less sense to me. Why would you double the attenuation unless one wasn't providing a sufficient number of steps, but that's hard to believe with a digital stepper.

Funny, that makes far less sense to me. Why would you double the attenuation unless one wasn't providing a sufficient number of steps, but that's hard to believe with a digital stepper.

It makes sense to me if one is for a passive preamp and the other for the ES-1, hence the question.

Seems weird to put a random passive preamp in the same box doesn't it? If it were me I'd prefer to just have a loop out option or something like that.

Same here.

Well if it's weird then it's me who is eird as Mikhail was just doing what I was asking. I actually do not use that function now as my sources connects digitally to my speaker amp and thus bypass the ES-1/preamp entirely. Of course that was not the case when I originally ordered the ES-1.

If its the amp i'm thinking of, the step attenuators are for the headphone

section, and the digital remote controlled thing is a computer controlled

attenuator made by lite (DIYclub) and is used as the passive

preamp.

DIYCLUB

Good call. It could be the v-3310 based upon the remote.