For electrostatics, which 1K source?

blessingx

Blessingx I remembered mjg is selling his Northstar M192 MK1 though he hasn't bumped the thread in a while. If that is still for sale on Headfi, I would grab that. It's an incredible source.

I'm really not going to upgrade it until I have the speaker setup squared away, and then I'm going Emm Labs.

tisk tisk. Source First. :P

Thanks for the feedback so far. And yes I was impressed with Filburt's this weekend.

Side question though - how high/much do you have to go to get a decent SACD player with DAC capabilities from other sources (840C-like)? I didn't realize the encryption issues with SACD until today. Call me naive. Is there anything in the 1K range even if the DAC is a step down?

There really aren't all that many sacd players around, not counting the universal players most of which don't have digital inputs. You'll have a very hard time finding a sacd capable player that also has digital inputs in the $1k range.

That's what I figured. And no way to get SACD digital out of a less expensive unit I suppose? Oh well.

So I'm contemplating subscribing to the SACD Blue Note Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman Reissues. Of course they're dual format, but is there anything else I should consider if playing back redbook only? Of course there will still be the advantages of the superior sound in remastering, but curious if I'm missing anything buying expecting to only hear the redbook for the foreseeable future? Open-ended question, but...

So I'm contemplating subscribing to the SACD Blue Note Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman Reissues. Of course they're dual format, but is there anything else I should consider if playing back redbook only? Of course there will still be the advantages of the superior sound in remastering, but curious if I'm missing anything buying expecting to only hear the redbook for the foreseeable future? Open-ended question, but...

Not really answering your question, but I plan on doing the same thing (re: Gray/Hoffman SACD's) even though I don't have a decent SACD player anymore. I figure most of the recordings are something I would've bought eventually anyways (those I don't have already) and knowing they're being remastered by SH makes the decision a whole lot easier to make. If I end up with decent SACD player in the future, great. If not, no real loss IMO.

Technically not impossible, but convoluted -- you could get one of the Sony home theater systems with SACD capabilities, digital inputs, and pre outs, and then you'd have it. But it'd be really entry level, and all-in-one systems need to be well ventilated or they are prone to overheat. Not the best of choices.

What I do is, just get a good universal player. I have a separate system for computer listening, but that's not a requirement -- you could just switch the cables.

This may be a stretch for you but if you want something truly refreshing and you have a sence for adventure give it your consideration. Firsst do you like digital or analog? If you like digital find a Museatex Idat44 or an IdatM and if you like analog find a Museatex bitstream convertor (early version is nice sub ser. no. 400 or so). Send the unit to John Wright at Museatex.com and have it fully upgraded. When you get it back and burn it in take to the homes of all the people you know that own Ed Meitner's EMM Lab digital gear and compare the two units. Ask Romy the cat how he likes his BiDat. Ask Romy about John's work. Good luck on your journey.

This may be a stretch for you but if you want something truly refreshing and you have a sence for adventure give it your consideration. Firsst do you like digital or analog? If you like digital find a Museatex Idat44 or an IdatM and if you like analog find a Museatex bitstream convertor (early version is nice sub ser. no. 400 or so). Send the unit to John Wright at Museatex.com and have it fully upgraded. When you get it back and burn it in take to the homes of all the people you know that own Ed Meitner's EMM Lab digital gear and compare the two units. Ask Romy the cat how he likes his BiDat. Ask Romy about John's work. Good luck on your journey.

don't forget to ask John for a suitable power cable upgrade :) :)