For electrostatics, which 1K source?

blessingx

Contemplating a source specifically for a SRM-007/Lambda Pro/Sig setup. Looking at the normal suspects - DAC1, DA100 Sig and DA10, which I had previously. Would be used with a computer (with USB & optical) or through a Squeezebox. Haven't used a dedicated CDP for years. Does anyone have suggestions otherwise or comments on that trilogy of choices? Find the Stello interesting, but reports of a darker signature may not make create the best synergy. Anyway appreciative for your advice. May get a chance to try, but looking for longer term impressions, especially with electrostatics. Figure budget $800-1,000. And no that doesn't extend to 'twice that.' :palm:

I really like my Northstar M192 (first version) that I got for roughly around $1k, but I have nothing to compare it to. It's another option, at least. I use it with a Trends USB thing as a transport.

Do you notice a difference when upsampling is turned on or turned off? Rare to find another Northstar M192 MK1 owner, so I'm just curious.

I haven't tried a whole lot of DAC's but the AudioZone DAC1 is here to stay in my computer rig. It retails for 1400$ but can be had for much less used. It does only have one BNC input but a RCA adapter is cheap or you can use something like the Trends UD-10.1 which I just ordered. It's smooth, extended and doesn't suffer from the horrible digital haze of the Benchmark or so many other new digital products all out to impress.

Do you notice a difference when upsampling is turned on or turned off? Rare to find another Northstar M192 MK1 owner, so I'm just curious.

Haven't had the chance to fool around with it. I also don't have a headphone amp right now, and I doubt I'd hear anything different with my speakers in my current situation. Maybe I can get back in a few months' time.

I'm using a MHDT Havana (upgrade to the Paradisea+) and it uses a non-OS DAC with no digital filters or op-amps. Specs here: MHDT Havana website

I also own a Paradisea+ which is well regarded and imho it's quite a bit better, which it should be, for the price. I told Purk I reckon it's about 30% better - perhaps it isn't, but the added enjoyment it provides me when I listen to it is around that level.

It does present a very full and detailed sound, with very good spatial separation. I use it with my SP Extreme Platinum and L3000 at work, via the USB input. Very happy with it.

It costs about $900 + shipping if ordered direct.

I would suggest staying away from the Benchmark - with those Lambdas you will really hear why people complain about its treble harshness.

I used to have it with SRM-717 and SR-404 / Lambda Signature and was never happy with that system. Not that the DA10 was much better, but at least not as fatiguing.

I'm using a MHDT Havana (upgrade to the Paradisea+) and it uses a non-OS DAC with no digital filters or op-amps. Specs here: MHDT Havana website

I also own a Paradisea+ which is well regarded and imho it's quite a bit better, which it should be, for the price. I told Purk I reckon it's about 30% better - perhaps it isn't, but the added enjoyment it provides me when I listen to it is around that level.

It does present a very full and detailed sound, with very good spatial separation. I use it with my SP Extreme Platinum and L3000 at work, via the USB input. Very happy with it.

It costs about $900 + shipping if ordered direct.

So the Paradisea is the real deal huh? I might end up picking up one of these for my desktop rig in the future.

Sorry - my english is terrible - I meant to say that the Havana is quite a bit better than the Paradisea+.

There are rave reviews for the Paradisea+ dotted about - but I'm not sure I'd go to the level that they're touted to. It's a nice little DAC that doesn't have the slight 'digital edge' that I find in DACs like the EMU 1212m or Pico and well worth picking up for the 2nd hand prices.

There are only a couple of forum reviews for the Havana - apparently one is being written for one of the online pubs in October.

I'm guessing yes, since I asked MHDT if the USB implementation was different in the Havana than the Paradisea+ and the reply was they're the same. The USB input on the Paradisea+ also 'takes priority' as a source and so the only way to use the coax would be to unplug the usb cable. Would be nice if there was a switch, I agree.

I suppose instead of having to disconnect the cable you could disable USB output on the fly? Still far from the best solution, but possibly other option. From their site (and the first audio one I've seen use Geocities ;)):

Once the USB signal is inputted, the +5V of USB power will trigger the internal relay and take the control of digital input.

When USB is un-plug or no +5V inputted (disable from computer or computer power off), the internal selecting relay will not function and the digital inputs are in default status, i.e., coaxial or toslink.

Blessingx I remembered mjg is selling his Northstar M192 MK1 though he hasn't bumped the thread in a while. If that is still for sale on Headfi, I would grab that. It's an incredible source.

I'm really not going to upgrade it until I have the speaker setup squared away, and then I'm going Emm Labs.