Squeezebox Boom

blessingx

Like lostonetr I've also had a time or two where I regretted the purchase of Logitech gear. I have been wondering how I could put my extra SB3 to good use and a bedroom rig or perhaps a small setup in the living area next to the kitchen would seemed likely, but dac, amp, speakers, headphones, etc. Nothing seemed 'right'. If this plays out well, it might solve the problem. Then again maybe something like the AudioEngine line with the SB3 is a better option. Likely similar money involved. Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone ever hear this? I was thinking it would be cool to have a budget audio solution in my kitchen to listen to when I'm cooking. Nothing fancy, just something to throw on top of the fridge or on the counter. A squeezebox + active speakers would do the trick, but the Boom's transportability is attractive.

I like mine,

the small, all in one, form factor works well. The ability to get internet radio, via squeezenetwork, means you don't have to have any PC's running sqeezecenter (slimserver, as was) powered up, as long as you have wireless, or wired access out to the internet. Has a line in (actualy it is an ADC), which mates well with the sansa clip, or laptop headphone out, if you just want to use it as powered speakers. It's a big step up from the integrated speakers in my laptop, and made it fun to watch the http://www.head-case.org/forums/miscellaneous/4766-story-mullard-blackburn-factory.html video . As you'll remember. :)

The headphone/sub output (from its own dedicated dac) can be used to drive headphones, or an active sub - in sub mode, another software low pass x-over comes in to play for the sub. People have suggested getting a craiglist sub to fill out the real low end.

Doesn't go as loud, or as low, as my floorstanders - but for low/medium volume, I think it is pretty good - for its intended purpose.

Voltron, and others, heard it at the recent Marin Meet. Al described it as "not as sweet" as his Harbeths. Understandable given the physics and price differential.

Best advice if undecided, is get one direct from slimdevices/logitech -as they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Amazon and mwave are showing lower direct prices, if you have already decided.