W10VTGs

kirkwall

I just picked up a pair of these and would be interested in hearing from fans/owners here. They have a very lush sound but I'm finding them a bit muffled at the frequency extremes compared to RS1s and balanced HD650s. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on amping these (I have a Headroom balanced desktop amp) that might clear up the congestion, since I'd really like to like these phones even more. But maybe that's just how these vintage phones sound? Source is the HR's built-in DAC and a Primare CDP.

thanks and best,

k

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lucky basket, I wish I had a pair of VTG, just for the heck of it.

Sooo purty.

I don't have spare cash laying around, so fuck it, I'm gonna rob your house tonight at say, 9.30pm? Is that time ok for you?

Jason, are you in or out? ;D

Ok, on a more serious note, you need to find an amp with high current output to make the ATs sing I think. Good luck with the research. ;)

What amp are you using, again?

Primarily the HR Desktop Balanced. I also have a Cary SLI-80 Sig but it doesn't seem to be a great match for these phones, deep bass sounds like a belch through a pillow. They actually sound pretty good straight from an iPod out.

Thanks for the MF v8 suggestion, Kees. That might do the trick. They do have some handsome mids, though. I'll keep at it. I've heard that ATs are tricky to rewire and I kind like the cable that came with it, reminds of the cords on Grandma's lamps.

thanks and best,

k

The main reason not to reewire the vtgs is the stock cable with mini connector is one of the most desirable parts of it. I mostly used the vtg as ipod headphones, and I thought they were wonderful for that. They're not perfect cans, so if you don't like them with any given amp, you probably won't ever like them, to be honest. They're not for everyone.

Yeah, I totally get what you mean Dan. If the W11jpn is anything like the VTG, then yeah, they sound sweet plugged into just about anything. My W11jpn sounds just fine plugged directly into my Creative MuVo2 FM.

When amped, they don't change drastically, I just find them to sound "richer".. if that makes any sense at all. ;D

Only problem with the W11jpn is that unlike the VTG, they have a 1/4 inch jack instead of the mini jack. I'd reterminate them in a flash, but I just can't bring myslef to cut the beautiful cable... :o:palm:

I wish I had an extra pair of W11jpn so that I could use it for times when I'm on the go... :(

Yeah, I totally get what you mean Dan. If the W11jpn is anything like the VTG, then yeah, they sound sweet plugged into just about anything. My W11jpn sounds just fine plugged directly into my Creative MuVo2 FM.

When amped, they don't change drastically, I just find them to sound "richer".. if that makes any sense at all. ;D

That's pretty much what I'm hearing.

The main reason not to reewire the vtgs is the stock cable with mini connector is one of the most desirable parts of it. I mostly used the vtg as ipod headphones, and I thought they were wonderful for that. They're not perfect cans, so if you don't like them with any given amp, you probably won't ever like them, to be honest. They're not for everyone.

Got it -- thanks. They're great cans for more intimate music, and they do sound excellent out of the iPod. I'm going to spend some more time with them as iPod supercans. I had JPNs way back when and from memory they went a little deeper and were a little quicker but there's probably not much in it. Anyway it's been a real pleasure to have a pair of these VTGS to play with. Their comfort, build quality and attention to detail puts my other phones to shame.

best,

k

I got my W10VTGs today, and they do sound great right out of my zune.

But they also have some channel imbalance and I can't adjust the balance on my zune - not that it would be acceptable at any rate. In case the seller refuses to let me return the phones, where would the damage most likely be in? The drivers themselves, or the wires that link the left side to the right? (The left side is louder)

Nope, it isn't my hearing, unless all of my other headphones were balanced the wrong way. Turning them around doesn't work so well either, since the drivers are angled something like 30 degrees towards the ears.

Anyway, the balance is perfectly centered now. Its a pity that I can't listen to it out of my main source, but they're excellent even out of inferior sources, like my laptop's headphone out (which isn't that bad, actually).

Ok, I just realised that the balance was somehow related to the way the pads were aligned with each other.

Quick Review:

I really like them, and I agree with everything Grawk and Kirkwall's said about them. They do music in a way that is completely different from the stats - I could write a fair bit on how technically flawed they are but they're so sweet you could completely ignore their flaws and just listen to the music.

And god they're beautiful.