Cartridge Recommendation for Old Dual DD TT

morphsci

I am bringing my old Dual CS-721 (vintage 1976) out of retirement. I had some work done on it around 2002 and it works great. The cartridge on the other hand needs some help. It currently has an old Ortofon LM30 cartridge. A replacement stylus costs about the same as a new cartridge of comparable quality. Therefore, I am looking at alternative cartridges for this table. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, especially from those using older direct drive turntables

what kind of tonearm you got on there? detachable headshell? S shape or straight? sorry I don't know much about dual tts.

Its the standard tonearm that came on the system. Straight 8.75" tubular tonearm with a detachable cartridge holder. Four-point gimbal suspension with adjustable counter-balance, tonearm height and anti-skating. Will accept any cartridge with a mass of 1 - 10 g. Unless you owned one (and had the manual at hand) there would be no reason to know any of that (unless you were practicing for an audiophile cocktail party). :D

Its the standard tonearm that came on the system. Straight 8.75" tubular tonearm with a detachable cartridge holder. Four-point gimbal suspension with adjustable counter-balance, tonearm height and anti-skating. Will accept any cartridge with a mass of 1 - 10 g. Unless you owned one (and had the manual at hand) there would be no reason to know any of that (unless you were practicing for an audiophile cocktail party). :D

Sounds like any cartridge recommended so far would be nice. I might as well throw in my standard DL-103 recc since thats what I always do about this time. ;) Of course its output is very low, so you'd need a step up or an MC capable phono.

The AT440MLa is also always a good choice. Solid cart from top to bottom.

That's the exact same turntable I have, I'm using a Shure V-15 type III since I have a bunch of warped records and need a cartridge that can track anything. I'm pretty happy with the sound, it gets a bit strained & confused on loud complex orchestral works but otherwise I can't complain too much.