TechTube from a CRT company

Dusty Chalk

• 7 months later...

At least they're honest and forthcoming about it. I have to admit to still being interested in them. Especially if they have more air than other tubes.

I wonder why tubes are microphonic? I mean, I understand vibrations and electronic interference (if that's what it is), so actually the question would be, why aren't some tubes microphonic?

Looks like it'll be about $70 per tube, still might grab one for the CTH. Looks like they'd work in the EHHA as well

I just got one. I was miffed by the price for a single and UPS delivered it to another address, so I was, not so subconsciously, looking to trash this tube.

I stuck it in my Mad Ear+ HD and let it go for about 4 hours and then listened very briefly to a "simple" (voice + cello + banjo) recording by Ben Sollee before going to bed last night.

It was not microphonic; it was low noise. It sounded pretty clean and the "tone" was... maybe a tad bit on the bright sound. The top end was nice - clean and clear. I need to listen some more. This isn't what i expected (wanted?).

My wife liked it. She has a great set of ears.

I am going to compare it to a Sovtek 12AX7LPs and 5751 and GE and RCA TMBP 5751s, maybe a TF smooth plate, too.

This takes time.

I have listened to this and the Sovtek 5751 and the RCA TMBP 5751. I always liked the Sovtek 5751 and loved the RCA. This tube is actually quite OK in relation to these two, but I need to listen some more music to really feel the difference. It does a great job on country-western, but what doesn't?

• 4 weeks later...

Technically, the Blackburn is a fine tube: balanced, detailed, fast, very transparent. I can't find any real faults as an input tube to my Mad Ear+ HD or driver in my Quicksilver Mini-mites, although these pieces of equipment may not be able to bring out the best in it.

To me, though, the Blackburn is boring because it lacks "character". I am very fond of the early 1950s US-made 5751s and 12Ax7s, esp. RCA, Raytheon and Sylvania. These are not technically not as good as the Blackburn in that they put all put lot of emphasis on the mid-range and seem to have either a great treble and good bass or the other way around. None of them are bright or edgy: they are tilted down a bit towards the upper bass and lower mid-range, at least that is what i hear. They all are slightly different, but they all make listening to music more enjoyable to me than with the Blackburn. That's the character part.

This is very personal: My definition of "character" can well be another person's definition of a flaw.

By the way, mine were not microphonic.