What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei (Mantra France first pressing CD)

Do you like how this album sounds on Mantra? I find that mantra did not do a good job transferring this staff to CD, not compressed or anything just very dark sounding seems like the tapes were not first generation. I like 97 Rep CD much better, it has a bit of a top end boost and is a bit louder but it sounds very detailed and clear to me.

I also noticed that although Eroc does a great job remastering stuff he tends to bring the loudness level up a lot, something I don't like that much. Guru Guru Mani und seine Freunde is a good example of this, Germanofon bootleg CD ripped from LP was dakr and muddy, but Eroc's remaster is very loud althoght very good sounding in tearms of details. He does not commpress a lot by they way, just brings over all sound level up.

N.P.

s1260871.jpg

Niagara - Afire (1973)

Do you like how this album sounds on Mantra? I find that mantra did not do a good job transferring this staff to CD, not compressed or anything just very dark sounding seems like the tapes were not fist generation. I like 97 Rep CD much better, it has a bit of a top end boost and is a bit louder but it sounds very detailed and clear to me.

I also noticed that although Eroc does a great job remastering stuff he tends to bring the loudness level up a lot, something I don't like that much. Guru Guru Mani und seine Freunde is a good example of this, Germanofon bootleg CD ripped from LP was dakr and muddy, but Eroc's remaster is very loud althoght very good sounding in tearms of details. He does not commpress a lot by they way, just brings over all sound level up.

N.P.

s1260871.jpg

Niagara - Afire (1973)

I slightly prefer the sound of the Mantra CD to the 97 Rep. It's a trade off really.

I agree that Eroc does make the albums much louder, his earlier masterings were pretty bad but I guess he has admitted the mistakes in his old ways. I haven't heard any of the new stuff he has remastered.

I slightly prefer the sound of the Mantra CD to the 97 Rep. It's a trade off really.

I agree that Eroc does make the albums much louder, his earlier masterings were pretty bad but I guess he has admitted the mistakes in his old ways. I haven't heard any of the new stuff he has remastered.

Well I would say that some of his early re-masters were bad, not all. He did a good job with a lot of them and overall I find that he tends to master in a way that brings the resolution up, but does not kill the air. The thing is that some people like very warm sound with a bit of dirt on it, this makes recording sound very analog. I tend to like recording like that less since you loose some of the resolution and have a more midrangy sound.

Some of the old LPs were inherently limited in the dynamic and resolution extremes because they were transferred from tapes with this in mind. Now what Eroc seems to do it transfer in a way there he pulls every bit of detail of these tapes, sounds different from the LP yes, but I bet more like the original tape.

But let us stop the off-topic, or maybe we should have a mastering thread to talk about this fun stuff :P

Niagara CD was good, I am now listening to:

s1020505.jpg

Potemkine - Nicolas II - 1978

Well I would say that some of his early re-masters were bad, not all. He did a good job with a lot of them and overall I find that he tends to master in a way that brings the resolution up, but does not kill the air. The thing is that some people like very warm sound with a bit of dirt on it, this makes recording sound very analog. I tend to like recording like that less since you loose some of the resolution and have a more midrangy sound.

Some of the old LPs were inherently limited in the dynamic and resolution extremes because they were transferred from tapes with this in mind. Now what Eroc seems to do it transfer in a way there he pulls every bit of detail of these tapes, sounds different from the LP yes, but I bet more like the original tape.

But let us stop the off-topic, or maybe we should have a mastering thread to talk about this fun stuff :P

I agree the overly dark/muddy sound can be too much. The early Black Sabbath (and some Deep Purple) albums that had pre-emphasis suffered from this effect (and yet people will defend these CDs to the death :P ).

I think I do err towards the more "analogy" sounding albums which may have less resolution compared to the remasters. I don't even mind some of those kraut/psych CDs made from needle drops if they're done well :D

But I definitely like well executed modern remasters that have plenty of detail, air and resolution without sounding too unnatural. Do you have examples of some of Eroc's good albums? From what I'm reading in the SH krautrock thread all his new stuff should be good. And is amazon.com the cheapest place to pick them up?

Heh I actually like posting in the "what are you listening to now thread" on Head-Case because it encourages discussions like this rather than just post whoring like the Headfi threads.

But I definitely like well executed modern remasters that have plenty of detail, air and resolution without sounding too unnatural. Do you have examples of some of Eroc's good albums? From what I'm reading in the SH krautrock thread all his new stuff should be good. And is amazon.com the cheapest place to pick them up?

I heard some Frumpy – "2" samples and like how this album sounds. It just came out in 2009. This album was very hard to find before for a normal price. I am very happy that a lot of these records are being reissued, and reissued on widely distributed label. Used in Amazon seems to be the best place to buy. No need to buy Germanofon CDs and hope that this time they do a nice vinyl rip or actually have master tapes. The thing with Germanofon is that at times they did a good job and sometimes they just fucked up badly. Eroc's albums and Xhol Caravan they butchered, Guru Guru and Thirsty Moon sound very nice. I need to get Electric Sandwich reissues on SPV and Rec to see how that sounds compared to my Germanofon CD.

N.P.

s134614.jpg

Pascal Comelade - September Song (with Robert Wyatt) (2000)