What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death are excellent, but I find the rest pretty hit or miss and none of these albums can hold a candle to the classic NOTB - Seventh Son period. Iron Maiden is probably the best heavy metal live act I've ever seen though, so if you haven't seen them yet, I'd suggest jumping on the first occasion before they stop touring.

AFAIK there are no 'audiophile' versions of these newer releases. Any idea if that's accurate?

AFAIK there are no 'audiophile' versions of these newer releases. Any idea if that's accurate?

Nope, only versions for deaf people. That's the main reason why I only listen to Brave New World in the cheap car stereo, otherwise it makes my ears bleed in a good headphone or speaker setup.

Edited by GPH

Thanks to this thread (and Mr Maher in particular) I have discovered Rasputina and it's turning out to be a major event. I must own everything they have ever done.

I live for discoveries like this. Awesome, thanks.

Everything Rasputina's ever done is amazing, so it's a good place to start!

Thanks to this thread (and Mr Maher in particular) I have discovered Rasputina and it's turning out to be a major event. I must own everything they have ever done.

I live for discoveries like this. Awesome, thanks.

All thanks should be directed to en480c4, my love of Rasputina is his fault.

All thanks should be directed to en480c4, my love of Rasputina is his fault.

Thanks indeed to en480c4, I am really enjoying it.

Come to think of it, it may have been your post in the "last thing you bought" thread that I saw 1st anyway :)

Nice bobblehead, btw.

The LivePlasma map gave me this:

rasputina.jpg

I am familiar with Collide and Switchblade Symphony but have never heard of the others. Recommendations anyone?

Tapping the Vein are awesome -- Heather is one of my favorite vocalists in the genre, if not ever. She can go from little-girl coo to full-on scary scream in the course of a single song, and sound good no matter what she does.

Ian will tell you more about Scarling...he's a fan, IIRC.

I also heartily recommend Kidneythieves. Mediggy. If you're going to get Trickster, go ahead and get the Reprocess, I think (though I still haven't gotten it myself, yet).

I've had Hungry Lucy on my radar forever, looks like I need to check them out.

Jack Off Jill are industrial -- so of course mediggy.

I forget Rhea's Obsession and Darling Violetta, although I have albums by both of them. :palm:

Kittie and My Ruin head more into metal and nu-metal territory, IMHO.

Ian will tell you more about Scarling...he's a fan, IIRC..

You remember correctly. Great stuff, though it should be noted there was a pretty dramatic shift in style between the debuts (EP Band Aid Covers the Bullet Hole & LP Sweetheart Dealer are much closer to Jack Off Jill) and the follow-up (So Long, Scarecrow), which is gorgeous noisey neo-shoegazer rock.

Jack Off Jill are industrial -- so of course mediggy..

I like JOJ quite a bit as well, though it shouldn't be surprising since Jessicka is the singer and main creative force behind both.

I did not know that. For some reason, I think of Scarling as much more mature and refined than Jack Off Jill -- have you heard of Hansyl and Gretyl? Maybe I'm confused.

I really ought to pay more attention to what I'm listening to when I'm listening to it...

Well, I would agree with you. Scarling is more mature and refined... It was formed at some point after Jack Off Jill split up. I'm guessing some of that is from Christian Hejnal and his influence on sound and songwriting in Scarling.

And no, I haven't heard Hansyl and Gretyl.

Took the shotgun approach and been sampling them all.

So far I am LOVING Darling Violetta, Scarling, Bif Naked, and Hungry Lucy.

Jack Off Jill not so much.

High hopes for Rhea's Obsession. Wiki says they are similar to one of my all time favs - Dead can Dance. We shall see.

All in all this has turned into quite the jackpot.

WooHoo and thx again!

EDIT: Checking out their MySpace and Tapping the Vein is sounding real good as well.