What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (CLACD early pressing CD)

Black_Sabbath_SbS.jpg

Great album with a very weird guest appearance by Rick Wakeman. ;D

BTW, I've been trying to find the best versions of the first four Sabbath albums to own on CD, but the threads on SH.tv are pretty confusing. Are you on the Castle remasters camp or the original pressing camp?

Cream - Wheels of Fire (disc 1, DCC gold)

phpgfujv1pm.jpg

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

POBCover.jpg

Great album with a very weird guest appearance by Rick Wakeman. ;D

BTW, I've been trying to find the best versions of the first four Sabbath albums to own on CD, but the threads on SH.tv are pretty confusing. Are you on the Castle remasters camp or the original pressing camp?

IMO the remasters are just terrible. They sound very artificial and 'tinny'.

The original CD releases are the complete opposite and in a few cases dark and muddy sounding (this is mostly the European discs, the first pressing Japan discs are good. This is a generalization and it can go either way). Though they still manage to sound more natural compared to the remasters.

Sabbath has to be heard on vinyl. Just one of those bands that didn't get treated well on digital :-\

Edited by deepak

miles-davis-kind-of-blue-1959.jpg

LFF's remaster of my original source. Clearly the best of the six different versions that I have save for the speed corrected vinyl played on a Clear Audio TT through MBLs but that is not and apples to apples comparison-- so shoot me.

BlackSabbath-Vol4400.jpg

Original CD pressing.

IMO the remasters are just terrible. They sound very artificial and 'tinny'.

The original CD releases are the complete opposite and in a few cases dark and muddy sounding (this is mostly the European discs, the first pressing Japan discs are good. This is a generalization and it can go either way). Though they still manage to sound more natural compared to the remasters.

Sabbath has to be heard on vinyl. Just one of those bands that didn't get treated well on digital :-\

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for my wallet, there are too many of "those bands" in my favorite artists so I'll end up with a vinyl rig sooner or later. :(

They're really unbelievable on vinyl. This isn't an exaggeration when I say even going from the really good first pressing Japan CDs to early pressing UK vinyl on my friend's horn setup the sound goes from sounding flat to everything just jumping out at you and filling the room.

It's too bad the UK vinyl in good shape sells for lots of money :(

Technically off topic but ......... the coyotes out here must be having Woodstock II, lots and lots of howling. Reminds me of the ending of the movie sand of the Kala Harri.

Now back to the music......

How is it? I love Fish era Marillion. Saw him play most? all? of Clutching at Straws, which was nice. Kind of weird that Volume C plays Misplaced Childhood kind of inside-out.

It's excellent stuff, representative of how awesome Fish was at that time. There's not much to be said really, it's what you'd expect, which is official soundboard recordings from 3 different tours. I'd have preferred a little less of Misplaced Childhood and perhaps some early classics like Cinderella Search and Grendel, but overall it's a great boxset.

There's a new boxset available on Fish's site also, "The Early Stages 1982-1987 The Official Bootlegs",looks pretty awesome. If you're like me, I never get enough of Fish-era Marillion and while Hogarth-era is cool, it never fully quench the thirst. :P

Wow, I decided to give this a listen since the cover looked awesome but this was not what I was expecting. Still, good stuff!

Noisy jazz punk, really cool stuff. Be sure to check out their first album (guess what the title is ;)) too.

Kind of similar in the noisy but strangely catch style is Royal Trux - Accelerator, you might like it.