Flash drives

I've heard that one should avoid no-name flash drives because then they'll only last a couple of refreshes -- is that true? I was going to get one of the $10-ish 16G ones. Are there any brands I should avoid? Corsair, Kingston, OCZ, Patriot, Crucial, Transcend, IPSG, Lexar, Sandisk, etc.? E.G., I was told to avoid anything like these.

The OCZ Ralley2 drives are some of the fastest flash drives I have used. But I believe the 16gb version is quite a bit more than $10. Depending on what you plan to use it for it might be worth the added cost. If you are going to just back up files then no worries on speed but if you will constantly be transferring files then the added speed will be well worth it.

I just use the maxim "of would I buy any other products from this company" when buying flash drives. Rules out OCZ really fast.
First of all, I'm not sure I agree with Maxim, whoever he is. I guess it depends on the device. I mean, if it's a memory-based device, then yeah, but if they also happen to make dishwashers that I wouldn't buy (because -- although I'm sure it's built well -- if it breaks, there's fewer people in the area who know how to fix it), doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a plasma tv from them.

That said, what product by OCZ were you thinking of?