Buffalo DAC opinions?

Lil' Knight

Of course have it built :(

Make a man of yourself and build your own DAC. If you build line-out docks, you probably already have some of the necessary tools. I don't know if there are surface mounts to do on the Buffalo, that can be harder (and I still suck at it), but it's good experience. Good luck!

The basic Buffalo kit is a surprisingly easy build. Only the power supplies and output stage (IVY) need putting together, and the SOIC OPAMPs on the IVY now come pre-mounted. Wiring it up is all fairly straight forward, except for maybe the mains voltage - which isn't actually all that hard, just potentially deadly.

The difficulty is in the casework......

I don't know what would happen (or what to do) if anything goes wrong :palm:

DEW ET! I don't think you would have much trouble. The Buffalo module is a snap, its only two leds and four standoffs, it doesn't get any easier. The power supply modules are also super easy to follow and as long as you work your way up populating the board by the height of each component, should also not be very intimidating. Their are two little SMD choke/inductors on each of those, but they are super easy if you just tin them and the pads and then heat the pads while you hold them down in place with tweezers (easier then it sounds even). The only challenge you might have would be the IVY which has much more components to populate the module with, but I would suggest you try it. If your too scared, you could also spend the money you would have spent on someone else doing it for you on a pre-assembled Zapfilter from parts connexion and not buy the second transformer, LCBPS, or IVY for a little over $100 more then you would have spent on those.

Overall, I think you can do it, the casework is going to be by far the hardest task there. Get yourself some nice pre-drilled front and back panels from Front Panel Express with the money you save if you don't want to drill yourself. Just brush up on the tangent tutorials.

Thanks all for the encouragement but I've just got a letter from the Dean last week, warning of kicking my ass out of school if he happens to hear me soldering in my room again.:palm:

Don't you have access to lab rooms? Probably a better idea than doing it in a dorm room. Also, since when do deans contact students directly about things like this... weird.

Don't you have access to lab rooms? Probably a better idea than doing it in a dorm room. Also, since when do deans contact students directly about things like this... weird.

Hell ya. My school is a very small one and only has labs for chemistry or physics stuffs. Plus I really don't want to bring my stuffs back and forth from my room to the lab.

Someone complained with that Dean about keep smelling the smoke and hearing noise (from my heatgun) coming out of my room. Just got his email last week ...

I'm kinda like paralyzed right now.

Nate,

What's it sound signature? Would be great if it has synergy with a tube amp and HD650's.

I'd label it neutral, and damn fast. Outside of that I freely admit that I'm not one to hunt endlessly for the last 1% of purity. It's among the best digital I've heard for sure which puts it up there with the likes of Wadia, Electrocompanient, The Hertsens and others. Could you find something that you might like better, I'm sure of it, but I'd guess it'd be a pretty subtle preference.

And no worries about synergy with tube amps and HD650s (although I'm going to dismiss the "tube" aspect), I'll I've really used it with is The Menace and my HD650s. By in large I don't find the Menace to sound like a tube amp so hence the dismissal, it just sounds like a good amp.

Hell ya. My school is a very small one and only has labs for chemistry or physics stuffs. Plus I really don't want to bring my stuffs back and forth from my room to the lab.

I`m likely being a bit dense but ask the folk in charge of the chemistry/physics areas if they know of a suitable place for you to solder and store your kit. Good fume cupboards and fire retardent surroundings seem synonymous with such labs.