Mobile Me Question

Is it possible to use Mobile Me to sync my calendar if I don't own a Mac, or Microsoft Outlook? I was kind of hoping I could just have everything I key into my iPhone calendar go to the magical me.com cloud in the sky, but it looks like if I try to sync my iPhone without first having synced with Outlook or iCal, it will just zap everything on my iPhone Calendar. Is this the case?

I cannot answer your specific question, but I cannot see how Mobile Me would be workable without a computer in the chain. Don't you sync your iPhone on a computer somewhere/sometime?

BTW, I meant to say that Mobile Me is pretty cool and I don't even have an iPhone. All of our family calendars, contacts, email, etc, is right there, and I use the photo gallery to upload and host pics all the time. Good stuff, and much improved from the former Dot Mac version.

mainly because I worry that if my iPhone died, I lose my calendar, but I just learned that iTunes actually backs that up for you anyway, so I'll probably drop MobileMe altogether:

al, I just wanted my iPhone to push my calendar over the air to the me.com web calendar.

I've been using MobileMe (and dot mac) for awhile. So far no problems with syncing. If you sync your iPhone frequently in iTunes it does get backed up. But there are other services too.

Right now there's no way to sync multiple calendars on multiple user accounts on one mac. So I found a program called Busy Sync. It allows me to publish a calendar and then my wife can subscribe and edit events on that calendar and it all gets pushed through MobileMe.

I will agree that the roll out for MobileMe was rough, but the kinks seem to be worked out. I haven't lost data at all.

I was using the MobileMe free trial happily, but my university switched to Exchange around the time my trial expired, so I didn't renew and now I have free push :) I'd say that if one has Exchange, only one computer and no need for the webspace, MobileMe is probably not worth the $100 Apple charges.

Pity they don't have a "sync only" version of Mobile Me - say no webspace, e-mail forwarding only, and $25 a year...

It may not have all the functionality you want, but have you tried Google Apps (either through MobileSafari or thru Calendar.app sync with your desktop)?

With Google Apps free (along with Flickr or Picassa Web and maybe a free file hosting service) I don't see the point of Mobile Me for most average users. Hell, I'm an Apple fan, but Google Apps and one of the photo hosting sites gives you more functionality and there's reasonable iPhone support (a lot of Googlers have one). ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to take this opportunity to mention how much MobileMe continues to suck. It is basically unusuable for me on a PC with Firefox. Even when it does work, the UI is clumsy, the mail functionality is minimal, and the apps are useless. Apple really really screwed the pooch on this one. I know that has been confirmed already, but it seems to me that they continue to screw the pooch. The poor pooch.

Google calendar is pretty good. It is the only way I have found to sync my exchange calendar with iCal and thus have my calendar on my touch. So my exchange calendar is my main calendar and it syncs with my phone. Then google calendar syncs to the exchange and iCal syncs with google. The touch calendar gets updated when I sync with my Mac Mini. Moar Calendars!!

Just wanted to take this opportunity to mention how much MobileMe continues to suck. It is basically unusuable for me on a PC with Firefox. Even when it does work, the UI is clumsy, the mail functionality is minimal, and the apps are useless. Apple really really screwed the pooch on this one. I know that has been confirmed already, but it seems to me that they continue to screw the pooch. The poor pooch.

Clearly you're not wearing jeans and a black mock turtleneck when you access MobileMe are you.

Seriously though. It's been working fine for me as well.