Dell Inspiron Mini 9 as a Transport

tyrion

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

From the FAQ:

The Touch Book will ship with the Touch Book OS by default. Since the Touch Book has been designed with the help of a vibrant open source community that believes in diversity, you can install many other OSes, including Google Android, Ubuntu, Angstrom, and Windows CE. You are free to do whatever you want.
EDIT: Damnit, Al beat me!

Any of you netbook users have tried to use Matlab or another numerical analysis application? That's probably the most demanding thing I'd do on a netbook if I decide to buy one and I'm wondering how well it performs for such tasks.

I'm probably going to load SAS on it and then run some data sets through on it and my workstation. SAS writes both total time and processor time into the log file for each procedure and the total run. Should be interesting. I probably won't get around to doing that before the summer though.

dont bother with small boxes. You'll get more heat in a smaller space, and be limited in what equipment you can run, and likely pay a premium for smaller parts. It will probably need to run a fan more often to compensate for the heat too.

Something like the small Lian Li boxes are pointless, imo, as they simply compensate for lack of height with an increase in width. They don't really end up saving you all that much space, especially considering they have a larger footprint (some of them anyway).

To be clear, I'm not talking about stuff as small as a mac mini, I'm talking about this type of rig

_mg_29346i7n.jpg

Edited by aardvark baguette

Yes, the above resembles what I had in mind. I was crunching up some numbers and it seems going the DIY is never cheaper than the eeepc or dell or HP.

Even when I get close price-wise, I am still missing a monitor.

To be honest, I've always wanted to build a "music pc" inside a mini jukebox, like this one, with a small display somewhere in there:

usb-cd-rock-mini-jukebox.jpg

Of course, the rest of the rig would have to match the look physically as well

...build a "music pc" inside a mini jukebox...
I'm sure something like that's been done. There's a magazine that has a custom pc build on the cover of every magazine (Maximum PC? CPU? I forget). They do some pretty outlandish things, like put lava lamps in the liquid cooling portion. (Alright, I haven't actually seen that done, but I still think it has been.)

Um...not sure I agree with Monsieur Baguette de la Aardvark. I do agree with his general principle, and to the conclusion, to a certain extent. But if you go so small as to basically bleed the cooling directly to the outside, I do think small is good. To wit: HP Voodoo Firebird something. Factory liquid cooled computers with 1333 FSB == rockin'.

Um...not sure I agree with Monsieur Baguette de la Aardvark. I do agree with his general principle, and to the conclusion, to a certain extent. But if you go so small as to basically bleed the cooling directly to the outside, I do think small is good. To wit: HP Voodoo Firebird something. Factory liquid cooled computers with 1333 FSB == rockin'.

Well that is certainly an exception, but I'm thinking more of the diy type builds, and fan powered. I probably should have mentioned that.

The voodoo stuff is pretty expensive. I've actually never done water cooled, I've actually tried to avoid it for other reasons, but you also have to take into account the noise of the motor.

From what I've read, many of the motors in DIY watercooling don't necessarily strive for silence, but rather power, so they end up being not much quieter than air cooled alternatives.

To be clear, I'm not talking about stuff as small as a mac mini, I'm talking about this type of rig

_mg_29346i7n.jpg

I built a fleet of these Shuttles a few years ago with 3.4 Northwoods... One fan, runs around 38C with music.... but I'm interested in a netbook now. Can't see a reason to go this big any more.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to pick one of these $199 Mini 9's up tonight to take advantage of the sale. My primary use will be browsing the net in the den while listening to my speakers, but I would also like the ability to use it to do needle drops. Any suggestions for upgrades? I'm thinking the extra $25 for the 1 gig of ram is all I'll need.