Powered by McIntosh.

Knuckledragger

I got back one of my C-22 preamps and my MC-75 monoblock from the repair shop yesterday. I've had these things for a decade, and I'm just now getting around to dealing with them properly. I haven't plugged the MC-75 into anything but the AC outlet so far, but I did just spend half an hour futzing around taking pictures of it:

3307285019_c8ae5edce9_b.jpg

The case could use a good cleaning, but I'm not sure what cleaning product one uses on vintage tube amps. The repair tech tested all the tubes and said they did quite well. I understand the power tubes used the MC-75 are quite spendy to replace. I don't have any pitures of the C-22 preamp yet. I'm going to try to integrate it as a phono preamp in my headphone/Quad rig.

I'd just try mildly soapy damp cloth for cleaning,

I have some "Holy Cow" organic cleaner I'm going to try. It's non-toxic and claims to be quite gentle on surfaces.

Awesome. Now just wait for a nice single speaker to show up on audiogon and setup a killer mono rig :)

What kind of speaker would I mate with it? When I acquired all this Mac gear about a decade ago, I regularly spoke to a tube head who built his own single ended triodes. He didn't have much interest in amps that put out more than 13 or so watts, but I recall he referred to the MC-75 as a "big honking pentode." He didn't have much advice for speakers I'm afraid.

Sadly(?) I don't have a cat. My housemate is an asthmatic, and he's pretty allergic to them. I thusfar haven't sprung for one of those $6000 GMO hypoallergenic kitties.

Tonight, while I'm waiting for my mix to upload, I snapped a few shots of the C-22 preamp. This one came out best:

3310100639_f038e81ec6_b.jpg

It, too could use a good cleaning. I had hoped to integrate it into my rig as phono preamp, but the logistics are something of a nightmare. There's no room in my rack for the C-22, and the cords on my Technics aren't log enough to reach it in any practical arrangement. It looks like if I tore apart my entire rack, removed the Hafler amp, and put the power conditioner all the way on the bottom, I might have enough room to shoehorn it in. That is a process that could take several hours, and not something I want to consider at 11:30 at night. :eek:

While writing this, I took a shot of the back:

3310147761_f6ca15ab74_b.jpg

The RCA jacks are in surprisingly good shape for being nearly 40 years old.

Really awesome gear!

Any chance of opening them up for some inside pics? Would love to see the insides of such a beautiful amp!

Err, do you meean the amp or the preamp? I dunno about opening up the MC-75, I could look into it, but I'm not remotely sure how it comes apart. I did take apart one of the C-22 pres back in 1999 or 2000. I remember being amazed at the build quality and careful arrangement of components. I've got to run out and pick up a shin new LaCie terabyte drive that's waiting for me and then maybe see about eating (man can not live on Ritalin alone.) After that I'll see about taking off the top cover of the C-22.

What kind of speaker would I mate with it? When I acquired all this Mac gear about a decade ago, I regularly spoke to a tube head who built his own single ended triodes. He didn't have much interest in amps that put out more than 13 or so watts, but I recall he referred to the MC-75 as a "big honking pentode." He didn't have much advice for speakers I'm afraid.

Hmm, no doubt that is the trick. I had a huge Tannoy Dimension TDC-1 center channel sitting unused, so I set it with a mono rig (stereo TT, stereo preamp, stereo > mono adapter > mono amp). Most center channel speakers aren't big enough to use full range though, and to be honest I do think an extra single TD10 tower would be better suited for this than the TDC-1. So I suppose your best bet would be to buy new in a model that's available as singles, or wait on audiogon for a mono guy or "perfectly matched front 3" HT guy to unload a nice single speaker.

I'm partial to the upper-range Tannoys, whatever the situation :)

• 2 months later...
I'm partial to the upper-range Tannoys, whatever the situation :)

really? your signature would have never suggested that ;)

anyway... i <3 mcintosh...

if the op dosent mind heres my mcintosh stuff:

E5DD5245.jpg

E5DD5246.jpg

E5DD5254.jpg

E5DD5256.jpg

moar info: the ST6's are being driven by the McIntosh 2105 which is hooked up to the McIntosh C26 preamp... the DAC is the Behringer DEQ2496 (which I installed a ZAP Filter in - night and day difference from stock) which is hooked up via optical to the Marantz SR7001 and everything (HTPC/BluRay player) is hooked up to the Marantz via HDMI which also goes to the TV via HDMI... the subwoofer is hooked up to the L+R "center" output of the C26

The McIntosh MC4000 on the wall is hooked up to the 5 channel output of the Marantz when I want to do surround i move around some wires and it drives the two ST6's, the Klipsch in the center, and a pair JBL Control 1's in the rear...

but i rarely bother with the whole surround thing since the DACs in the Marantz dont really sound very good

the 2505 needs new output transistors and a cap replaced... interesting bit about the 2505 also, the original owner was jack horkheimer the "star gazer"

haha

something like that :)

im going to see if i open up that 2505 and start ordering the parts to get it operational again...

after that im probably going to build some new speakers and bi-amp them...

Wow, I missed this thread while I was on MV. No, the OP doesn't mind. That room is filled with awesome. :o

I just got back my second Mac C22 pre and Dynaco Dynakit Mark IV monoblock back from the repair guy. They're now sitting on my living room floor next to my other C22 and MC75. I have entirely too much to do today to futz with them, but if I'm not working in the nightclub this evening, I'm going to set the two C22s up and try out the phono pres. If I'm really motivated, I'll take some internal pix.