Anyone who can compare GS1000 to PS1000

Blackmore

• 2 weeks later...
Because of the fact that the first PS1000 #3 already show up, just wonder if anyone here waiting for his/her pre-order to. Looking for some critical GS1000 vs PS1000 review...Anyone?

I'm now North of 100 hours into burn-in and just did a quick rotation of the Sennheiser 600s, Denon 7000s, Vintage RS1s and GS1000s vs the PS1000s on several CDs. The GS1000s sounded rather drastically skewed to the highs (mid to uppper treble in particlar) and notable softer in the bass with much less body in the midrange compared to the PS1000s. Not a value judgement - just a rather obvious difference in spectral balance listened to within minutes of one another. Voices that sounded more distant and focused on their upper registers with the GS1000s had much more weight on the PS1000s. Given that, as you would expect, the PS1000s are exhibiting a dramatically larger amount of upper bass and lower mid energy vs the GS1000s. It's a bit simplistic, but I'd say the character of the PS1000s now would be along the lines of RS1 highs with mids that are more transparent to the source than the RS1s while being more full bodied than the GS1000s. To my ears, the bass of the PS1000s is superior to both with a weight and artculation that I'm really struck by. It's far more balanced and articulate than the RS1s with flats (that I find can sound a bit wooly in the upper bass) while exhibiting notably greater bass weight than my GS1000s. I really find the RS1s with flats too colored to listen to at all now and while the GS1000s are nimble and transparent, I much prefer the balance of the PS1000s.

Compared to the Sennheisers, the Grados have more bass and have much greater presence and immediacy. The HD600 just sounds pleasant, but a bit flat and boring in comparison - but then I've never really loved the 600s. The Denon 7000s sound less dynamic, less articulate and more polite in nature than the new Grado along with sounding hooded and lower in resolution. The Denon still has more deep bass, but the PS1000 gives a weight and body I'm not used to hearing in open backed phones - but while preserving an articulate bass character the Denon simply lacks. I used to like the 7000s in their own way, but they really sound pretty pathetic compared to the PS1000s. They simply sound too ridiculously closed-in and lacking in resolution to take seriously in comparison.

For a while early on the new Grados sounded a bit soft on top, but the lower treble has gained some presence and there is a liveliness to the presentation now that is leading to very different comparisons. Most of my headphones simply sound like headphones with their own specfic headphone related colorations. The PS1000s driven by the Moth sounds much more like the overall character I get from my main speaker rig - Soundlab M1s driven by Wocott 220s retubed with Mullard XF2s. So much so that it's almost spooky. A lively presence in the lower treble, a midband that is more revealing of differences from disc to disc than most dynamic phones and bass weight and dynamics with articulation other phones with powerful bass don't seem to exhibit. All combined with a transparent open backed character.

Downsides? I hear a bit of siblance now and then and the weight was bothersome at first. Maybe I'm getting used to them, but the weight doesn't bother me at all now.

Make of it all what you will.

Joe

Who the hell are you, and welcome to head-case...I think?

... the GS1000s are nimble and transparent...
What? Do you have a prototype pair? What amp are you driving them with? I have found the GS1000's (production) to be bizarrely colored. I have heard (second-hand) that the prototypes weren't as bad, but I did not hear them for myself.

This fellow is the first owner, I guess, of NR.3 PS1000. You can see his impressions on HF, which are pretty similar to what he wrote up here.

And guys, stop joking around about GS1k. I do appreciate every man opinion, but give me some credit up here, dont make such shity comments like bloated bass and stuff like that. Buy/try fucking good/matched source/amp and then talk, thanks...

Yeah, the GS1000's I heard had a really overbearing, somewhat bloated sounding bass, so much so that it was hard to concentrate on anything else.

I'm ran them with a Moth Si2A3 and with that bloated bass is definitely not what you get. You're description makes them sound like Denon 5000s (which I also have laying around) and they are in now way like that in my rig.

Joe

Who the hell are you, and welcome to head-case...I think?What? Do you have a prototype pair? What amp are you driving them with? I have found the GS1000's (production) to be bizarrely colored. I have heard (second-hand) that the prototypes weren't as bad, but I did not hear them for myself.

You're welcome...I think.

I own production pair #3 and I find the coloration of the GS1000s not to my taste as well, though it seems no two people you talk to agree on what that coloration is. It seems to be a rather source dependent headphone. The one thing it has though is transparency and I can't help but wonder if that transparency combined with it's source dependence interact to cause these varying responses.

Joe

This fellow is the first owner, I guess, of NR.3 PS1000. You can see his impressions on HF, which are pretty similar to what he wrote up here.

And guys, stop joking around about GS1k. I do appreciate every man opinion, but give me some credit up here, dont make such shity comments like bloated bass and stuff like that. Buy/try fucking good/matched source/amp and then talk, thanks...

ok I guess the Moth 2a3 sources with the exemplar cdp or ayre cx7e are not good amps or sources by your definition as the GS1000s were pretty mediocre to my ears when i owned them. Also I had the pleasure of hearing Mikeymad''s pair with his Woo 5 rig and they were also just ok. I prefer an older pair of rs1s to these by a long shot. It was not the bass for me that bothered me it was the sizzle on the top end that grated on my nerves and the mids were nothing to write home about.

I do hold out hope for the PS1000s but am concerned about how heavy those two boat anchors cups will be.

Sanderman welcome to headcase, thanks for the impressions

i'd like the PS1000 to keep the GS1000's bass and soundstage, it can change everything else.

i like the reports of a more forward midrange with the PS1000, but do not like these murmurings of sibilance. why do manufacturers keep making cans so fucking bright? i don't understand it.

I guess my question then is to who? Who is the audience that appreciates this piercing treble? Obviously they are out there somewhere.

I think those cats who like that stuff refer to it as "sparkle." I personally don't mind a bit of extra treble, as long as the other parts of the spectrum are good.

Anyways, thanks for the impressions, Sanderman. I haven't checked the NY meet gear list extensively, but I really hope someone does comparisons vs vintage RS1, PS1, and *ahem* HD800...

i'd like the PS1000 to keep the GS1000's bass and soundstage, it can change everything else.

i like the reports of a more forward midrange with the PS1000, but do not like these murmurings of sibilance. why do manufacturers keep making cans so fucking bright? i don't understand it.

Don't read too much into the siblance comments at this point. It's minor and I'm not entirely convinced the PS1000s aren't showing me something happening elsewhere in my rig. They are definitely not bright or hyped in the treble. In fact on the very top they are actually a little bit soft.

I still haven't really played with tubes in the Dac or amp to any great degree to see how to voice the rig for these things yet, but even at that they are far better than any other dynamic I have laying around. In fact, I haven't even tried them with the Zana Deux yet. Maybe tonight....

Joe

... do not like these murmurings of sibilance. why do manufacturers keep making cans so fucking bright? i don't understand it.
It's a golden ears thing -- those of us who aren't super-sensitive to sibilance (yes, "us" means including me, meaning that I'm not sensitive to sibilance, not that I'm a golden-ears) like airiness and detail. And yes, I agree bright, and a shift towards treble can induce an illusion of air and detail, but think about the converse of that statement as well -- a pair of cans that do have gobs of air and detail will sound like they are shifted towards the bright and treble-y, too, although it won't necessarily be an illusion.
I own production pair #3 and I find the coloration of the GS1000s not to my taste as well, though it seems no two people you talk to agree on what that coloration is.
Yes, agreed.
Uh...no. The GS1K -- although by far the most comfortable Grado headphone in the stable -- just wasn't anywhere near what I want to spend time listening to, that I have absolutely zero intention of ever listening to that headphone ever again. Although I'm still dying of curiosity of what an accurate frequency spectrum measurement of it would look like. Also, I'm not joking, although I wouldn't argue with the stance -- in addition to what you said -- that there's quite a bit of variance among these. I believe one could get used to them, then all other headphones would sound bizarre. Edited by Dusty Chalk

Don't read too much into the siblance comments at this point. It's minor and I'm not entirely convinced the PS1000s aren't showing me something happening elsewhere in my rig. They are definitely not bright or hyped in the treble. In fact on the very top they are actually a little bit soft.

Sweet, thanks for sharing Joe, and welcome to head-case. Though I'm not as into headphones as I used to be, I'm very intrigued by both the PS1000 and HD800, and look forward to hearing both at some point.