Bookshelf speakers build

Nebby

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

3949670762_27d638b6a9.jpg

With the assistance of Steve, there is hope that the mini bookshelf speakers can be completed. Picked up some sanding sealer and painting supplies yesterday and I get to try my hand at applying it tomorrow.

Also, this baffle will be painted black courtesy of Rust-oleum. :) Lowes/home depot did not have semi-flat black, so I had to settle for satin. Hopefully it'll turn out alright!

Left them outside in the shade for a few hours, then sanded with 320 grit:

3953790235_4a6ac2fa78.jpg

Will have to wait till tonight to spray the next coat as it's too hot outside now.

I went and picked up a water based poly satin clear made by Varathane. Anyone have any experience with it? I was at Home Depot and I narrowed it down to either this or the Minwax poly spray.

• 1 month later...

4085221186_c08f4a5f1e.jpg

Two coats of Minwax satin poly clear, don't mind the dust as I was just getting ready to wet sand in preparation for the next two coats. Given that I'm spraying outside without any sort of paint booth, I'm quite satisfied with the finish so far. After doing a quick fit test I noticed the layers of paint had made the tweeter hole too small for the tweeter to fit, so I actually had to sand the paint back down. Guess I cut it a bit close with the original cut :)

4086965599_9851ab5dd4.jpg

First time working with bondo. Did a few test runs prior to using it to fill the gap, but I was still a bit surprised when the bondo started to solidify. Hopefully it blends well after it's primer'd! Have a couple of whiteside router bits on the way so I should get some decent progress on the SR-71 once those come in.