diy speaker amp suggestion

crappyjones123

just finished one of these at school.

Soldering, Learn how to Solder Kit

worked after the first try. no solder bridges. no bad contacts. no cold solders. gentleman who runs the e.e. lab guided me and got me started and said that i could take on a project that has a printed circuit board. as with all else, he said i will learn good practices as i make mistakes.

i have started looking into a speaker rig. the drivers are fostex 206e (96db efficiency) so i figured a couple of watts will suffice. the listening volumes will be fairly low. for the 206e drivers, this amp seems to be thrown around on diyaudio a lot for reasons of synergy or what have you.

Zen Triode SET kit amplifier model ZKIT1

pros : printed circuit board. good directions (with pictures) on the above website.

cons : tube amp. i remember nate saying something about lethal voltages.

is there another project (ss or otherwise) anyone could suggest within the same range ($300)? cost should only include the raw cost of parts. i have permission to use the e.e. labs in return for cleaning their equipment so all the tools will be available there. in terms of casing the amp, i plan on just using the simple plank of wood approach. seems cheap and cool to look at.

if i were to go ahead with the project, is it better to just get the pcb from decware and then order the parts on my own from digikey or mouser or just get the kit?

the preamp will be next but i will worry about that once i cross the power amp bridge.

thanks.

thanks for the suggestion nate.

i was looking at the few pictures they have up and couldnt see any terminals. not sure i know what im looking for but in other diy amps they have been red and black posts. im sure once i actually get the parts i might be able to see better.

ps. nate, are there any integrated amps i could take a look at? obviously adjusting the budget would be required. lets say something in the $400-$450 range.

ps. nate, are there any integrated amps i could take a look at? obviously adjusting the budget would be required. lets say something in the $400-$450 range.

I've never seen any DIY project marketed as an integrated amp. Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to find out why this is.

• 2 weeks later...

CJ , thought I would pick from earlier discussion.

The simple SE is pretty straight forward but I am always weary of encouraging someone with little HV experience to jump in without someone around to assist in the process.

I have a few questions

- why DIY , it is very cool if you want to get into building things and have that ability and there is only one way to learn and that is getting your hands dirty. However, if this is to find a budget route to better hifi than is available in retail, I might suggest alternate routes. eg vintage HiFi that often gather dust and even though they have been replaced by the latest FOTM, can still offer excellent sound quality and be found at shockingly cheap prices ( also crazy money at times )

check out The Vintage Knob to get an idea

Other options

Besides the gainclone Nate suggested which I think is a superb DIY idea

Digital amps

The T-amp should be able to drive the fostex and be a good entry point

read this 6 moons review I listened to the Two Bald Guys system at VSAC and nothing too shabby about it.

BUT not DIY ;) - 41Hz will satisfy that lust

As for tubes , the EL84 based zen amp you originally linked to was rated as being very good value with a decent enough sound but again it is high voltage. One way to get a tube fix is to consider a Hybrid - Moskido would offer excellent value but I would recommend using the 24V version and running in front of a simple gainclone , this would give you a superb headphone amp / line stage as well as enough power to drive the speakers. ( the integrated concept that yu mentioned ) - not sure if this could be squeezed in under your budget but possibly.

Many other options which is part of the problem when it comes to DIY and the (in)ability to stop building after you have completed the project.

..dB

the power supply page led me to the aikido. sounds like an excellent choice for a headphone amp and a line stage.

i have to get to bed now so havent had much time to research. is the moskido a revision of the aikido? is the same pcb as the aikido used with additions or is it something entirely different?

The moskido is close to the 24V Aikido HP amp, same tube input but a different SS output. No board for the moskido that I know of. Aikido kit can be ordered with most everything except tubes and PS, and Donald gave a link to some affordable 6gm8's, antique electronic supply iirc.

I really like the 24v Aikido, it's a very fun amp to listen to and tinker with, without having to worry about HV.

The money will be in the power supply ( always is ) and how OTT the build becomes wrt resistor and cap choices. Using basic good quality mouser/digikey parts, this amp should not blow the budget.

But it is no lightweight build either - tubes have 300V on their plates and iirc the rails were around 40V..dB