Desktop Suggestions

So my home computer is dying. Well, it's more dead than dying but you get the picture. It's had a good life, some 8 years now, and just can't cope with even the most basic tasks anymore. After installing a fresh OS this weekend and having it struggle for an entire day just trying to auto-update it's become painfully clear that it's time to move on.

Basically what I'm thinking about doing is picking up a pre-assembled motherboard/processor/ram bundle from someone like mwave and installing it in a chassis myself. But I don't have the time or patience required to research this stuff much these days so I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any great ideas. The budget for this is extremely limited unfortunately but thankfully it doesn't need that much in the way of processing power, can be semi-noisy, and I've got the monitor and peripherals taken care of already.

And before someone suggests a MAC Mini I've looked into it and I'm not sure it's worth it to me to pay for that much size compression when it really doesn't matter to me. I'm pretty sure I can get a lot more power/$$ through other avenues.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I usually suggest just buying all the parts and putting it together yourself if it's not going to be used for much outside of web browsing, e-mail and office you ought to take a look at some of the cheap dell desktops.

As much as I usually suggest just buying all the parts and putting it together yourself if it's not going to be used for much outside of web browsing, e-mail and office you ought to take a look at some of the cheap dell desktops.

I'd like it to have enough oomph to run AutoCAD and a few other graphics programs that I use but they really aren't all that resource dependent. But that said I have a pretty strong aversion to buying a prebuilt box for better or worse. :palm:

I also own a copy of Vista32 Home Basic as well as Office '07 so I should be able to trim most of the software expense out of this purchase.

This is what I did, after growing tired of the space heater/jet engine I used to have.

Anything truly intensive I just do at work these days, rather than bringing it home with me.

Usually with Macs, it's better value to buy the full iMac anyway, not just the Mini. If you already have a monitor, they will do dual-monitor. Since they dual-boot, you can do your Autocad in Windows, and all the rest of your crap on the Mac side, if you've already bought the Windows version of Autocad. Sure they aren't the most bang-for-the-buck if power is your only consideration, but if you want to avoid the screwing around with hardware, they are a good choice.

It's really hard to compete with something like this. Or wait for PacificGeek to put up another 3.4GHz machine. Right now, they have a Dual Xeon 2.8 up. If you think you can put together a system even with scavenging parts, good luck with that. I intend to put a computer together, but I understand it's a losing prospect -- I'm doing it more for the learning experience than anything else. I can't believe I've never put together a computer for myself before. It's funny how when one is spending one's own money, things are different. (I've done it for work before.)

What's dying, the motherboard? Is it just out-of-date/underpowered?

I would monitor some of the deal sites (dealigg, digitaldeals, etc.), either way. I've seen both prefab systems and parts. But none of the sites seem to monitor MicroCenter, so you may have to monitor that one yourself (and if you need anything from them, and don't have one close to you, I have two close to me -- the Beltway/MD one, and the VA one).

If I recall AutoCAD only takes advantage of the pro-versions of the GPUs. Coolermaster has some decent cases for about $50 and I would also recommend newegg over mwave. I've used mwave in the past and their shipping prices tended be very high.

do you know if AutoCad can take advantage of GPUs?
I'm pretty sure it can, yes.

is the existing case decent?
Ehhh, not really but it could do in a pinch.

i would personally go with newegg instead of mwave.

Mwave will assemble and test your config for free right now, I don't think I've seen anything like that on NewEgg.

my suggestion mirrors reks'. go with newegg or shop for the cheapest parts around once you decide what to get. not sure im in a position to offer this but i wouldnt mind putting the rig together. it takes perhaps 2 hours tops. something im sure you could put together with ease. there really isnt anything to it. i had my sister do it when she got to college (had all the parts shipped there directly) and she doesnt know how to use a new tv.

if time is an issue, then either you could source someone locally to do it for your or someone on head case. shipping computers is usually the most precarious part given ups' and fedex's propensity to break them so just make sure whoever packs it, does so well.

for 500 (depending on what you have already - optical drive could probably be reused unless its useless, hard drive perhaps or the psu) you could get a decent rig. processors are cheap these days.

I've built my own computers before but usually after some pretty exhaustive research and that's the part I have no time/desire to do now. The physical assembly part is no big deal as you guys have said. The real problem is that it's been long enough since I did something like this that I don't even really know what I'm looking at anymore.

I just built one over Christmas from parts bought at my local Fry's. It cost me right around $900, but probably could've been much cheaper if I had mail-ordered from somewhere.

Just MHO, but I'd stick with Intel as well - even the motherboard. You don't want any problems. Antec makes great cases that are cheap and come with power supplies (<$100). I got a full-size tower w/power supply at Fry's for $75. The existing case is probably a no-go. Core-Duo's have special cooling duct/fan that's ported directly out of the side of the case. Again, just MHO, but I'd rather go with a Seagate drive than WD and 360Mb is pretty small these days. You can easily get 1TB for $100 today. There's also the possibility of a 10Krpm drive which will enhance the overall speed of your system - space is about half as much (500mb?) for the same price, I believe.

Some issues you may encounter - you may have trouble if your existing CD drive is IDE. I couldn't get the operating system to boot until I purchased an SATA CD drive. Using an existing OS may also be problemmatic. Sometimes those things are coded specifically to a motherboard (as with Dell's OS's). They may not have the full complement of drivers, either. Better to get an OEM copy of Vista (Business preferred) and start fresh.

warning about that case - it split my left palm open from the wrist to the base of the third finger. very sharp edges. they dont sand them down in the cheaper models.

I've probably built 20+ pc's using the cheap coolermaster centurion line of cases over the past year and have never run into that problem.

Better to get an OEM copy of Vista (Business preferred) and start fresh.

I have a friend who works for m$ and own [2] OEM Vista Ultimate's as well as [2] unassigned OEM copies of Home Basic. ;) The OS end of things should be covered just fine.

Thanks for the rest of the advice Tom, I'm leaning towards tkam's config although probably tweaked just a bit to trim things down. I'm also leaning towards just tossing the old box entirely and not planning to use any of it.

I've probably built 20+ pc's using the cheap coolermaster centurion line of cases over the past year and have never run into that problem.

people drive without seat belts their entire lives without getting into a crash. doesnt make driving without seat belts any safer because 2 people were fine after a long time. perhaps i just had a bad piece. it was a warning nonetheless. the op can ignore it if he wishes to do so. i was just "participating."