Palm Pre

tkam

So I picked up a Pre last Friday and I've been using it pretty heavily since then. The screen is very nice, on par with the iPhone's I'd say (the iphones being a glass touchscreen does get the edge in scratch resistance). The interface is really intuitive and done very well. The little "gesture" area below the screen fits in with the overall interface quite well and it works flawlessly.

It's also hard to overstate how nice it is to finally have true multi-tasking on a smartphone. I often find myself having the Pandora app streaming in the background while texting or sending e-mails. Of course there is also the keyboard to talk about, I'm one of those people that really likes having a physical keyboard and the Pre's is pretty nice. Each key is raised and there's enough spacing between them that even someone with fat fingers like myself can use it without any problems.

It's the best smartphone I've ever used, if you have Sprint I highly recommend getting one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Multi-tasking is one of the things I like about WM smart phones over the iPhone. Having Opera open checking an address, Google Maps finding it and my location via GPS, having my email up and WMP keeping my music going is very nice. It's nice to hear that the Pre has implemented this well, as the task switching for WM isn't always the easiest.

Yeah WM isn't the most user friendly thing in the world, with the Pre to switch between open apps, pressing the center button brings up a view of all the open apps, then just cycle through them. It's sort of like coverflow.

I've seen some online whining about general lagginess. Does it start to bog down with a couple of apps running?

Looks like a nice device overall and one that should probably be giving RIM the sweats as much (or more) than Apple.

I would imagine multi-tasking will be the next major OS update for the iPhone, too, since the Pre and 3G S are both rocking the same ARM Cortex A8 processor. Wonder if Palm will have a long enough head start by then?

I haven't noticed any lagginess really, even with several apps open it's still far more responsive than the iPhone is. I do agree that I think Palm is going to get more market share away from RIM than they will Apple.

Multi-tasking is one of the things I like about WM smart phones over the iPhone. Having Opera open checking an address, Google Maps finding it and my location via GPS, having my email up and WMP keeping my music going is very nice. It's nice to hear that the Pre has implemented this well, as the task switching for WM isn't always the easiest.
Well, a lot of those aren't true multi-tasking. The iPhone can transfer information from one app to another like that (GPS location in maps to a URL in the browser, for example). The "keeping music playing" however, is true multi-tasking. And technically, the iPhone should be able to do it, since I've had background processes run on my iPhone. I think it's just that they don't allow apps to run in the background.

I think the Pre will be very successful, but the more interesting question is how well will Palm's WebOS work on future phones? There's already at least 2 or 3 more phones from Palm in the works and they all appear to run WebOS.

While the Pre is important it's WebOS that's crucial.

What type of service did you subscribe to? The BB Storm requires a data package starting at $29.95 per month on top of the phone service and unlimited texting charges, to realize all the benefits for surfing and email forwarding.

Looks like one heck of a phone.

Does the Pre support read/write calendaring via CalDAV? (As in, can you edit a subscribed Google Calendar without having to sync to your desktop?) It's kind of disappointing that CalDAV on iPhone 3.0 seems to be read-only. (I'm not asking about Exchange or MobileMe calendars.)

Looks like one heck of a phone.

Does the Pre support read/write calendaring via CalDAV? (As in, can you edit a subscribed Google Calendar without having to sync to your desktop?) It's kind of disappointing that CalDAV on iPhone 3.0 seems to be read-only. (I'm not asking about Exchange or MobileMe calendars.)

I'm willing to bet if it doesn't support it out of the box, there will (eventually) be a google calendar plugin. That is one of my favorite parts of my BlackBerry: fully synced calendars on all my computers and handheld.