WTBorrow Gun

screaming oranges

No one, including Native Americans, were harmed by the making of this thread.

We both survived, DAC/Preamp in place. I haven't listened much yet but the unit is a fail for me. It has balanced outs but no balanced input which I would use for a balanced phono pre. It also does not have a pass through so I can't run an rca to my headphone amp. I will try to get some listening in this weekend.

No one, including Native Americans, were harmed by the making of this thread.

We both survived, DAC/Preamp in place. I haven't listened much yet but the unit is a fail for me. It has balanced outs but no balanced input which I would use for a balanced phono pre. It also does not have a pass through so I can't run an rca to my headphone amp. I will try to get some listening in this weekend.

You see why I told you to try it before committing to buy? ;D

Well, too bad it isn't what you were looking for. I was going to say that it makes sense it doesn't have balanced inputs, since this unit's primary function is that of a DAC and not of a preamp, but if I remember correctly, it had RCA analog inputs, didn't it, so that would debunk my theory. I just remember seeing a plethora of inputs in the back...

EDIT: So pretty much you are looking for something like the Cary SLP-03?

Look in audiogon, some nice deals (both well under $2k):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1250425775&/Cary-SLP-03-

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1250379920&/Cary-Audio-SLP-03-Flawless

37500.jpg

37700.jpg

It does have SE inputs. It is primarily a DAC but if they give it preamp functionality, balanced out and SE inputs, why not a set of balanced inputs. Plus no pass through. It was worth a try.

I really need two sets of balanced inputs, one for my phono and one for digital.

Edited by tyrion

I really need two sets of balanced inputs, one for my phono and one for digital.

First thing that comes to mind is the BAT product line. I know they have multiple balanced inputs. I think there is even one that is phono/preamp, BAT VK-31 something or other (ran across it when I was phono shopping, but it was overkill for me).

Have you looked into those? Just doing a quick search on the 'gon for "BAT" yields some results, but I'm too lazy to sift through them for you.

EDIT: Oh! And there's also the Cambridge Audio 840E, solid state pre-amp with two balanced inputs. There are two for sale on the 'gon. One for $1300, the other for $1600.

840E-rev.jpg