Multichannel Amp recommendations?

Edwood

My old ass Harmon Kardon AVR-85 is losing it's channels one at a time. The surround channels are all but dead.

But all the Pre outs work. So, I was thinking of using it as a Pre amp until I replace it. And get a Multichannel amp to power the 5 speakers I have now. (NHT Super Zeroes).

My Velodyne HGS10 sub is still working (knock on wood).

I plan on getting the Smyth Research Realiser as well, so single ended amp recommendations only, please.

Eventually I'd like to get a better Pre Amp/processor (maybe the Emotiva UMC-1), but as of now, I'd like to keep my speaker related purchases as small as possible. (Around $500 hopefully, maybe up to $800) While it would serve the Smyth Realiser better to have a better Pre/Pro, I can't really afford to buy both a Pre/Pro and Amp. And not having sound for the TV while I enjoy my $2600 Realiser will piss the wife off.

-Ed

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, couldn't resist... it's a killer amp and you'd never replace it... i they are 4u in height and full 17" width, 19" with rack ears... still years and years on the warranty... but cheapest one on agon right now is about 1.7k... if you can live with just three channels the 5B ST should be a tad cheaper...

you may also find a 9B ST rebadged as a Lexicon NT512, and the 5B ST rebadged as NT312... the Lexicons should be cheaper as, although Bryston build them, they do NOT have the same 20-year warranty...

if for some reason i ever went multi-channel, i'd go for one of bryston's multichannel amps...

I you are trying to keep costs down then I would go with the Outlaw but I would go up to the 7125 or maybe a used 5-channel older model like the 755. If you want to stay under $1000 I'm not sure you can do much better new and used is a crap shoot.

I am so damned impressed with Emotiva's little ERM-1 speakers that I'm definitely planning on buying their UMC-1 and UPA-7 amp at some point.

The sound and build quality of these speakers are so far above their $149.00 ea. price tag it's not even funny. I just hope that their electronics hold that same build quality.

We haven't heard any negative comments from Mike about his ERC-1 though. And his recommendation in this thread speaks to the quality IMO.

I want him to buy a pair of XPA-1s, so we can hear about them in detail. Hurry up Mike! :P

Edited by swt61