Audiophile store to audition headphone amp at Vegas, LA and SF

forbigger

Folks, anyone know where I can audience some headphone amplifier on these cities (in order of priority). If there are headphones, it would be even better. Also what kind of brand ?? Thank you all.......

I know I've ordered my headamp+DAC from Justin so I may not buy anything at all but I wanted to expose myself to as much as possible thus have more experience. OTOH, God know I might ended up with something too :palm::palm::palm:

Edited by grawk

Welcome, etc. etc.

Not a store per se, and at the tail end of you order preferences, but I'd suggest you make arrangements to attend http://www.head-case.org/forums/meets/6466-norcal-sf-bay-area-meet-8-8-2009-a.html where you'll not only meet a bunch of friendly, knowledgeable people, but also have the chance to experience more headphones, amplifiers, and sources you can shake a stick at!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Very few US audio stores have anything for headphones. My advice is to find some people in the cities you are visiting that would let you audition their equipment. I know of one member in Las Vegas and there are many members in both LA and SF. If you can get up to Santa Barbara from LA, you are welcome to try out your headphones (and mine) with my amps.

BTW, the verb you want is "to audition". "Audience" is a noun referring to the group (could be 1) doing the listening.

Welcome, etc. etc.

Not a store per se, and at the tail end of you order preferences, but I'd suggest you make arrangements to attend http://www.head-case.org/forums/meets/6466-norcal-sf-bay-area-meet-8-8-2009-a.html where you'll not only meet a bunch of friendly, knowledgeable people, but also have the chance to experience more headphones, amplifiers, and sources you can shake a stick at!

Look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks for your offer. For me to stay another 2 weeks (in which I have decided to stay couple more days after my business is done), I would have to face the wrath from my wife......BTW, I will be in US from 14 - 23 July only......

Very few US audio stores have anything for headphones. My advice is to find some people in the cities you are visiting that would let you audition their equipment. I know of one member in Las Vegas and there are many members in both LA and SF. If you can get up to Santa Barbara from LA, you are welcome to try out your headphones (and mine) with my amps.

BTW, the verb you want is "to audition". "Audience" is a noun referring to the group (could be 1) doing the listening.

Thanks for the correction on the grammar. How far does it take to drive from LA to St Barbara ?

Thanks for all the responses. You guys in this forum are really helpful !!

Thanks for the correction on the grammar. How far does it take to drive from LA to St Barbara ?

You're welcome. When I lived in France, I hated that (almost) nobody would correct my errors. How was I to learn to speak correctly without correction. On the other hand, I probably made so many errors that we could never finish a conversation if they corrected them. :P I'm curious, where are you from?

Santa Barbara is 100 miles north of LA going up the coast. How long it will take depends on exactly where in LA you will be leaving from and the traffic. If you drive during a low traffic time, it will take about 1.5 hours each way for the trip.

I should warn you. My best amplifier is a Singlepower Platinum Extreme. Considering what we know now about SP, I wouldn't recommend buying one. Still, it would give you an idea of how your K701s would sound driven by a good amp. Other than that, I only have small amps (Corda Headfive and Headamp AE-2) that would do a great job driving them. So you might also want to try to meet up with other members in LV, LA and SF.

Thanks for all the responses. You guys in this forum are really helpful !!

Shh! You'll ruin our reputation. ;)

Guitar Centers are everywhere and they have a fair selection of headphones and IEMs but they are hard to audition there. In SF, there are good hi-fi shops with headphones and amps to try. Audio Visions on Pine Street is the best, and it has multiple cans and headamps on display. Harmony Audio Video on West Portal Avenue has the Grado lineup including the RA1 amp and several preamps that you can probably listen from. Music Lovers on Bush Street has great gear but I cannot recall headphones being there.

Cheers.

. :P I'm curious, where are you from?

Santa Barbara is 100 miles north of LA going up the coast. How long it will take depends on exactly where in LA you will be leaving from and the traffic. If you drive during a low traffic time, it will take about 1.5 hours each way for the trip.

I should warn you. My best amplifier is a Singlepower Platinum Extreme. Considering what we know now about SP, I wouldn't recommend buying one. Still, it would give you an idea of how your K701s would sound driven by a good amp. Other than that, I only have small amps (Corda Headfive and Headamp AE-2) that would do a great job driving them. So you might also want to try to meet up with other members in LV, LA and SF.

Shh! You'll ruin our reputation. ;)

Heard about Bali island ? Its in Indonesia.......

SP Plat Extreme ? Eats any headphones for breakfast.....too bad I only have limited time in US thus meet up is out of questions. I might bring my Senn Mx400 and watch some fireworks if its connected to your amps.......;D;D And that old Koss of mine that I hated so much......the one that looks like an over the ear earring than an earphone......Seriously, I really really wanted to see the 701 driven to its max and I think your amp will do extreme justice to it.......

I just PM you anyway

• 4 months later...

Could someone put me in touch with the Vegas member? I'm going to be there for CES and would love to try to find a pair of headphones I like. There are no dealers anywhere near me in Vermont, so I'll have to do the internet thing.

Thank you

Jon