Extruded Cases for PCB Cards

luvdunhill

Well, I'm looking at finalizing a project board that is currently 6.17" x 7.3". The 6.17" needs to be the width of the case, and the 7.3" needs to be the depth.

I've looked at a few vendors, as I'm trying to find a width that will accommodate a few of the Hammond 1455 type cases. The Hammond unfortunately is too shallow. I looked at Context Engineering and notice they have one that supports a 6" card width, that might be able to work, with a 8.5" standard depth.

I poked around a bit at Teko as well.

Anyways, I know a few of you have gone through this and was wondering if you might have a few suggestions? The main deal is I need to finalize the size of the board before going much further and I'd like to support more than one case (if possible).

Thanks!

How about FPE? It costs a little more, but you can make them any size you want. If it is only for a few, it seems like a decent deal.

I've done this a few times. It's very expensive as it turns out to require four panels. For a project this size, I'd expect it to be around $150-$175 per case.

edit: I'll spec it out though :)

Do you have a pic of how they came out? I am thinking about using them for this but am a little unsure of the quality.

heh, I can try and find one.

One thing I've learned is that you have to be very careful with the edge that gets milled to insert into the extrusion. I put this case together about 20 times and once or twice snagged the corner and had to reshape it.

I did screw up a few times placing the little angle pieces that secure the front/rear the top and bottom, seems simple enough, but...

One thing I didn't like was having a screw head on the front of the panel, so I blind tapped it from the back of the panel... the problem with this is that then you have a threaded hole in the panel, and a threaded angle bracket, which doesn't join so well together, so there were further modifications. I'm not sure how much you've looked at the .pdf FPE provides, but I'm hoping this is somewhat clear.

Things get expensive fast though with this approach.

Well, I'm looking at finalizing a project board that is currently 6.17" x 7.3". The 6.17" needs to be the width of the case, and the 7.3" needs to be the depth.

I've looked at a few vendors, as I'm trying to find a width that will accommodate a few of the Hammond 1455 type cases. The Hammond unfortunately is too shallow.

The Hammond 1455T2201 (default M3 case) accommodates boards 6.319 inches wide, and up to 8.661 inches deep.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455T2201.pdf

Unless I have misunderstood something, it should be perfect?

The Hammond 1455T2201 (default M3 case) accommodates boards 6.319 inches wide, and up to 8.661 inches deep.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455T2201.pdf

Unless I have misunderstood something, it should be perfect?

yeah, how did I miss that? :palm:

I get an extra inch in height with the Context Engineering case though:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thescienceshop/the-2228/8.5%22-L-x-6.15%22/Detail

... keep 'em coming :)

ok, I give. How much room is under the PCB for these cases for the widest, tallest, deepest option (CW2X90-XXXX-XXXX):

http://www.lansing-enclosures.com/main/media/micropak_c_techdata.pdf

Some pics show more than one slot, and I cannot find a dimension anywhere that shows these, so it's probably one of those engineer things of let's see how few dimensions we can put and make the reader have to do as many calculators as possible to find what they're looking for :palm:

Has anyone used these cases before?

So, I think this will work. My only concern is that this has the same vinyl clad steel top as another case I used.... and drilling this was a massive fail. This time, I need to drill tube diameter holes, so I'm a bit worried about that, because if I mess up the top, the case is more or less ruined. I definitely don't have the equipment to do this, so I'm wondering what are the chances of me finding a way to cut the holes cleanly? Perhaps a punch would be the ticket here?

Edited by luvdunhill

A punch will have a tough time with steel. What diameter hole do you need to drill/cut?

I need to have room to slide the case on, then insert a 6SN7, so roughly 1.5" or larger, depending on how accurate I can center it over the socket location. I think the other top was 50 mil thick, so I assume this is about the same.

ok, to answer Doug's question, the case from FPE is $165 shipped.

The ends are 3.0mm thick and 181.2mm x 56mm and contain ~30 holes and some text. The front is $24 and the rear is $35.

The 2.5mm thick bottom panel contains a few vent holes and the necessary cavity to fit into the extrusion. It is $44. The top is approximately the same price and contains two larger holes for the tubes. Total size for each is 167mm x 228.6mm.

The extrusions themselves are $7 each and are 228.6mm long.

I didn't include any hardware, as I would want fancier fasteners than what they sell.

Grr..