Completed! :dan:

Picasa Web Albums - inuponken - T2

Electric shock x 1

Burned parts: 2SK216 x 5 & 15VZD x 4

Sparked x 1

Flyed parts: None

Who is next ???

NICE NICE NICE...

The testpoint things are a GREAT idea. Whats the part number.

People should do this, a better way not to get knocked across the room.

Also fully plastic adjustment tool an absolute must.

get rid of the single part and you have to get rid of the other 2 things

how many picos is an LV bag?? i'd be so screwed.

Not really true, lots of successful audio couples in the business.

Krell (well until they had the company taken away)

Wilson (the other wilson)

Klipsch (until death do us part)

Pass (still plugging and chugging)

Manley (well that one did not end well)

Borbeley (very successful for 26 years, just retired, shutting down the business at the end of this year)

i'm sure there are others

NO knobs on the blowtorch. Just a touch panel and a remote.

veeeerryy interesting, need to finish off a couple projects and then i'm looking for an amp build and starting some hybrid (SS and class D, not the normal hybrid) active studio monitors. the blowtorch has always intrigued me. I guess i'll see how the timing fits.....

god as if I needed to find another source of poison, this place is evil too:palm:

@ deepak: 'knob jockey' sounds interesting?? suppose it depends on your point of view :P

Great work Inu! Good to see you managed to complete it relatively unscathed.

Looks fantastic - how does it sound? :-)

You know you're part of any serious endeavour when a credit card payment is refused and they contact your wife at home to make sure you're not the victim of fraud.

"No dear, it wasn't very expensive, I have no idea why they were calling me at home."

Hopefully they'll try my mobile number first next time.

Not really true, lots of successful audio couples in the business.

Borbeley (very successful for 26 years, just retired, shutting down the business at the end of this year)...

I'm tempted to pick up a Borbeley kit before they close as I've always wanted to build one. Any opinions on his headphone amp?

Inu: Wonderful build and great job not getting yourself zapped in the process :)

wait, water?!

Any idea of the current draw of the 60v supply or the two 12v supplies?

well if you don't have gallons of fluorinert laying around. Obviously be REALLY careful doing this.

alternatively some really good and pure low parifin oil like they put in the old xray tanks.

The 60 volt supply is 80 ma total referenced to the -500 rail.

The 12 volt supplies i doubt are more than 20ma each. The relay probably pulls more than that.

You would need DI water or similar. NO calcium or magnesium...

Its only 500 volts. Or just buy a bunch of heater resistors, make a string out of

them and hang them someplace safe.

I run my Xray's on DI water, and the anode is at 50kv.

The sector mass spec i just dumped in the garbage can ran 30kv on the FAB tip on

a garden hose (the chiller toasted itself)

Please be careful.

Or just buy a bunch of heater resistors, make a string out of

yeah, I have a little setup for BH and KGSS PSU testing I can use. I'm only doing one supply at a time anyways, so looks like maximum 25W (500V @ 48mA which is 60% of maximum 80mA). I

I was just more surprised when you said water (thought process was: waters' conductive, right? wait, no it's not but the materials are...)

pure water is 10**18 ohms per square. So a 6 foot long piece of tygon tubing (.5 od) filled with pure water ends up about 500 megohms.

obviously tap water may be hundreds of times worse, so probably 10 megohms. Which is about 5ma at 50kv. So a grounding block at the end

of the tubing makes the water safe. Still, you gotta pay attention when you are doing potentially stupid shit. 5ma can definitely kill.

I'm tempted to pick up a Borbeley kit before they close as I've always wanted to build one. Any opinions on his headphone amp?

No - but his shunt regulators are amazing - I'm using one on a KG Dynalo.

I've actually mailed him to find out what sort of deal he wants to acquire his designs; no answer yet.

You know you're part of any serious endeavour when a credit card payment is refused and they contact your wife at home to make sure you're not the victim of fraud.

"No dear, it wasn't very expensive, I have no idea why they were calling me at home."

Hopefully they'll try my mobile number first next time.

Luckily it was I that took the fraud call - triggered by buying the casework from KG! But that just put off the evil moment when that card bill arrived.

You would need DI water or similar. NO calcium or magnesium...

Its only 500 volts. Or just buy a bunch of heater resistors, make a string out of

I run my Xray's on DI water, and the anode is at 50kv.

I recall a fast pulsed laser, where the storage capacitor was made of parallel plates in DI water charged to many kV. The idea was that it behaved like a matched transmission line and politely dumped its energy quickly into the laser plasma.

I'm pretty sure its a 1.5 amp slow blow. (for 110 vac) But it might be a 2 amp. Too lazy to go and look.

Definitely not more than 2 amps.

updated schematics with a couple of resistors labeled as to power, and default of .5 watt added.

I will have to look tomorrow on the fuse... Its never blown the fuse yet. Not even with 24 hours of CJ.