Foam deterioration

Dusty Chalk

I now have two headphones whose foam is deteriorating.

(0) What causes this?

(1) Is there any way to prevent this? I suspect not, since I've had foam inside an anvil case (the kind that's valenced and is practically hermetically sealed) deteriorate purely out of age.

(2) Does it "run"? I.E. once the foam starts deteriorating, should one just throw out the entire batch? Or is there a way to save the foam that hasn't deteriorated yet?

(3) Is it "contagious"? I.E. Can it be transfered from one to another?

(4) Is there a way to determine ahead of time how soon foam is going to deteriorate?

(5) Best way to fix? Are there different kinds of foam? I know with Grados it's just a matter of replacing the pads, but what if it's a "sheet"? Do I need to remove the whole sheet? Is there a way to determine its acoustic properties to mimic the old foam, or should I just go for the most acoustically transparent foam in most cases?

This came up in a subwoofer forum once.

I haven't read up on it in ages, but the best idea presented at the time was Vaseline or KY Jelly on the foam surrounds.

Doubt that helps in this case though.

I know someone from the subwoofer company posted that it should last at least 10 years, FWIW. (note; they did not make the recommendation of ointment)

Yeah, I heard "mink oil" for surrounds, but this is different.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about things like (a) Grado pads; (B) the foam screens on headphones between the driver and the ear (the one that people usually cut holes in for the "quarter mod") like Sennheisers; © the padding in those cases we all buy for our headphones; etc.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Licking does help...
Licking isn't oil and contains digestive enzymes -- you sure that's a good idea? From what little I could glean from google, I'm not sure if it's "drying out" and becoming brittle, or impurities in the foam are rusting. Wouldn't mind knowing the science behind it, seriously.

Thanks to all the crap addicts for providing zero to no useful information. :chair:

Licking isn't oil and contains digestive enzymes -- you sure that's a good idea? From what little I could glean from google, I'm not sure if it's "drying out" and becoming brittle, or impurities in the foam are rusting. Wouldn't mind knowing the science behind it, seriously.

It was just me being silly. :-[ I usually say tube amps are safe if you don't try to lick them. ;)

If I remember correctly my father, who designed a bunch of stuff of various sorts of urethanes, often described the deteriorated urethane foam as "hydrolyzed". One way or the other, it sounds like reaction to air, or what passes for it in the places where we live.

He did say that the best urethanes would go a very long time before turning to dust or goo, the lesser ones might not wait so long.

Sadly, he's not around anymore to ask if there's anything you can do to arrest the process.

Keep foam stuff away from ozone or too much moisture - which I suppsoe would mean "out of Florida".

-Carl