Amp/DAC recommendation for D2000 & DT990

rpaul

I'm looking for a SS amp+DAC integrated unit that is known to primarily pair well with the Denon D2000 but could possibly also work well with the Beyer DT990. Both are bassy and have recessed mids, but the listening experience using both for Rock/Metal is pretty different and I prefer one over the other based mainly on my mood.

The D2000 sound is "fuller" and more intimate, I guess more "real" sounding compared to the DT990. Its bass response is also pretty much in your face - can really feel the impact. In contrast, the DT990 has a leaner sound and seems to me to be a less fatigueing HP that I prefer when listening for a longer period of time and/or working on something while listening. Control of its higher frequencies can be an issue with certain recordings, but on the whole I like the Beyer with a majority of my favorite Rock/Metal music.

My source is Apple Lossless delivered via optical out from a MacBook Pro. I have been using a HeadRoom Desktop amp/DAC w/Home modules + DPS. While it performs great with my HD650 listening to Classical music, I noticed that both for the D2000 as well as for the DT990, they didn't sound that much different when amped or plugged directly into the MacBook's headphone jack. Thus my quest for a different amp/DAC that will make the D2000 (and possibly the DT990) really shine with Rock/Metal music.

I'm looking for a non-portable unit with a budget constraint of around $1,500. From what I've read in this forum and on HF I've somewhat narrowed the list to the following (considering my HP choice, and in no particular order):

• Apogee Mini-DAC
  • Benchmark DAC1
  • Grace m902 (stretching the $$$)
  • Meier Opera/Symphony (kind of wary of international return shipping in case doesn't work out)

I also have the option to upgrade my HeadRoom Desktop to use the MAX modules, but I don't know how much that would benefit the D2000/DT990.

Which unit provides a good balance between musicality AND analytics? I have read that the m902 is extremely analytical, but that may not be such a bad thing if my HP of choice sound good powered by them.

Please list others that I should be considering as well...I will try to audition whatever I can get my hands on.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldnt even consider spending that kind of money on those headphones.

Assume I upgrade in the near future with phones that have a signature similar to the Denons and/or DT990 - in the sense capacity for rich low frequency, slightly recessed mids, high frequency is very present but needs to be controlled. Hell, if said amp/DAC also gels well with HD650 (lifts the veil), added bonus.

In that case, what is recommended?

Rupaul, That a low blow. It might actually hit something though.;)

Not if he tucks well.

rpaul, the D2000s, in my limited experience, don't respond significantly to changes in amp or source. You'd be wasting your money. I've no experience, other than briefly at a meet, with the Beyers, but didn't like them all that much.

Gotta go with the common recommendation here: Sell the headphones!

If the consensus is that the D2000 doesn't scale appreciably, then guess it's time to get rid of it. I like the sound, really wish it was better, but if it won't improve much, I'll always be hoping for improvement and won't enjoy it. Luckily have just enough time left in the return window. Don't think I want to venture up the Denon D5000/7000 path either - would prefer to get rich bass performance from open headphones if possible.

The DT990 I can live with straight out of the MacBook, but am still interested in finding a GREAT rock setup.

So then what would be a good recommendation for amp/DAC to build a foundation with, that pairs well with phones considered great for Rock/Metal?

you're doing this ass backwards.

Sorry, forgot this part in the last post:

So then what would be a good recommendation for amp/DAC to build a foundation with, that pairs well with phones considered great for Rock/Metal and also performs well with the HD650 for classical?

nothing wrong with the 650s for rock and metal.

Personally don't like the way they sound with that type of music - too veiled. Would prefer something more forward and livelier for rock/metal while still having good weighty bass.

Is there a solid state amp/DAC that transforms the HD650 into a more lively set of phones? Would be a nice bonus, but primarily looking to get a different set of phones for rock/metal.

If the consensus is that the D2000 doesn't scale appreciably, then guess it's time to get rid of it. I like the sound, really wish it was better, but if it won't improve much, I'll always be hoping for improvement and won't enjoy it. Luckily have just enough time left in the return window. Don't think I want to venture up the Denon D5000/7000 path either - would prefer to get rich bass performance from open headphones if possible.

The DT990 I can live with straight out of the MacBook, but am still interested in finding a GREAT rock setup.

So then what would be a good recommendation for amp/DAC to build a foundation with, that pairs well with phones considered great for Rock/Metal?

IMO the DT990 also scales very little. Even in 600ohm. I had a pair of CD3000s that were modded by Headphile, with deep wooden cups. Those had a fairly similar signature, but scaled much better.