Amp/DAC recommendation for D2000 & DT990

rpaul

You already have a Parasound 1100 and EHHA? God that's fucking impressive for someone who doesn't know what O2/717 are.

Fuck Denon phones. That's clearly the problem with your setup. If you must have another amp, get this one:

http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/store/2009/11/15/balanced-m3-for-sale.html

Pro builder, warrantied, and the price is great.

Edit: You have an HP1 too? That's a serious rig you got there.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More money than good sense.

There's a picture of the setup here: http://www.head-case.org/forums/tv/7898-nbcs-total-late-night-meltdown-2.html#post315840

The 1100 is especially nice since its in basically mint condition. Seriously, it must have just been sitting in a box somewhere.

I haven't bought into the whole balanced thing, so Rockhoppers uncoming line of balanced DIY amps isn't on my short list.

I will email RH about building a single-ended B22. I've never heard one, but my understanding is that it is better than the m3.

I don't believe Thrice of RH Audio is taking custom orders any longer. Post a WTB on head-fi instead maybe.

For an O2 and/or SRM-717, check out Kuboten, head-fi FS threads, ebay, and audiogon. I'm a dick for keeping silent about the one for auction on ebay europe right now I guess. :)

Not to derail the Stax Mafia's strong-arm recommendations, which are very worthy, but the Rockhopper balanced M3 is a very fine idea and there may be a very worthy B22 posted soon but the one linked above is NOT worth consideration because of the builder. I can't really see the Bijou being a different enough or improved enough option over the EHHA to justify that purchase. The ZD/ZDT/BA options at Eddie Current are among the best and will make those Joe Grados sing like you may not have ever heard them. If you insist on keeping those stupid D7Ks, then they will make them listenable. Woo Audio options should be considered as well, and a nice WA6 would be great in your price range.

Oh, and by the way, I am sitting here staring at the 12 glowing tubes on my SinglePower amp in the house I own, so there are many people around who have them and even love them. Mikhail should be strung up for many things but he made some great amps along the way.

I appreciate that. The recommended Stax are damn expensive, so I'd have to find something used. I've lusted after the ZD for along time now. Myself and some other Utah guys are talking of putting a meet together, so hopefully that will give me a chance to audition some Stax setups and a few different amps. After that I'll be in a better position to figure out my next move.

I wouldn't say my fellow mafia members are beating him into submission but one has to make a choice, endlessly follow the dynamic dragon or stop and try electrostatics to see if you like that sound. The SR-007/717 is something that makes it easy as they will go quickly on the used market and could be the last system you'll ever need.

As for SP amps, if you know what you are doing then you can easily turn them into something great with a bit of work. The question of value does come up though if you'd ever want to unload the amp later on.

I love my dynamic phones. Listening to my HP1s now using my EHHA, burning in a few Russian tubes that just came in. The sound is spectacular. The only issue is comfort (mangled left ear), and this is why I keep, and will keep, the D7000. Without listening to Stax, its pretty hard to appreciate how it could sound better than the HP1s. That having been said, if I see a good used set, I'll snatch them up for the reasons described above by spritzer.

Just bought some flats from TTVJ. They have helped out hugely with comfort. The sonics are improved too; mostly the lower octaves based on my current music, but I've been hung up on some bass heavy music for the last few weeks. I'm considering sending them in to Joe Grado for a refurb job on them. I'm hesitant, though, since he quotes different prices for performing what sounds like the exact same service. The only reason I'd think about sending them in is that Joe is so freaking old, and I might not have a nother chance. I know that's morbid, but it's also true.

I think the O2 Mk1/717 can seriously challenge, equal or beat your EHHA/HP1 rig, depending on your tastes. And although I have not done a side by side comparison, in my opinion they may even be fairly similar sounding rigs. As a bonus, with the O2 Mk1 you will get the comfort you are looking for and you may not need the Denon once you get the O2 Mk1/717 rig (unless you need the isolation, then get a JH13 Pro). You often can watch the forums and find an O2 Mk1 used for $1300-1400, and an SRM-717 for $1000. I didn't believe the 717 could synergize as well with O2 Mk1 and Mk2 as people had claimed, until I heard it for myself. Then I was upset because my $2500 GES didn't have the power, bass impact or separation that the 717 had, although it had great timbre/tone and musicality (leading me to buy a balanced WES instead, doh!)

You'd likely keep the EHHA/HP1 as a companion rig till they "pry it from your cold dead hands". If you still upgrade your dynamic amp, I think the EC ZDT sounds fantastic with my friend's HP1 (and most other phones I have tried with my ZDT, including HD800). And it's very good with my modded D7000, but because my D7000 are not stock I can't really extrapolate that over to yours. I did compare my ZDT to wiatrob's balanced EHHA for 2 weeks and I felt the ZDT was only slightly better (I forget how the LA7000 sounded on the EHHA, sorry). So, you might not think a ZDT is a huge upgrade unless your EHHA doesn't sound as good as Bill's (he claims part of the great sound is some very good hard to find tubes). As a note - I thought the ZD at CanJam was on a similar level as the Balancing Act single ended, and I love the ZDT.

After you've upgraded the amp, then you could consider an upgraded cable for the HP1. I know it seems like a sin to re-cable a rare headphone, but I have heard improvements in Grados with an upgraded cable, even among various cable brands (HP1 with SAA Equinox, PS-1 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Grado RS-1, RS-2 and HF-1 with APS V3, HF-1 with Jenna Labs). The HP1 really picked up a nice boost in the bass and transparency with the Equinox, and driven by the ZDT with a 4-pin XLR they sound fantastic. My APS v3 cabled RS-1 sounded similar to the HP1 with stock cable, but after the HP1 were re-cabled with the Equinox they moved up a level in transparency, detail and bass. Anyway, just a thought. Some people don't feel cables make a difference, and while I do think they help I also think they should come after phones/source/amp.

No melos? Why?

After you've upgraded the amp, then you could consider an upgraded cable for the HP1.

I have posted my thoughts on this elsewhere on this site, and would recoemdn quite strongly against it.

I know it seems like a sin to re-cable a rare headphone, but I dont know what else to recommend besides rectifier tubes.
fixed it for you.

sorry to maybe be the first to say to you that grado does not use the same crap cables as everyone else. Bummer. Sorry, I didnt read the rest of your post the first sentance had the essence of the rest in it for me.

Edited by nikongod
added a bit.

Just bought some flats from TTVJ. They have helped out hugely with comfort. The sonics are improved too; mostly the lower octaves based on my current music, but I've been hung up on some bass heavy music for the last few weeks. I'm considering sending them in to Joe Grado for a refurb job on them. I'm hesitant, though, since he quotes different prices for performing what sounds like the exact same service. The only reason I'd think about sending them in is that Joe is so freaking old, and I might not have a nother chance. I know that's morbid, but it's also true.

Isn't Joe charging, like, $2K for HP1000 refreshers now? Making hay while the sun still shines, I guess.