My New portable Amp has arrived!!

Yikes

Damn! I want to go home early to play with my new toy. I just received my Headroom Desktop Portable with the home module and the DAC. It?s going to serve as my Bedroom amp. It?ll be driven with USB or SPDIF from my computer (All MP3?s at 256K) or my Pioneer DV-563a for all silver discs both analog and possibly SPDIF.

I?ll have to listen to determine the exact setup that I?ll end up with. I could go USB from the computer and SPDIF (Custom Siltech RCA to 1/8? digital cable) from the Pioneer for Redbook, and analog (Via Siltech Forbes Lake G6) for SACD and DVD-A.

It?ll also see portable use with my Ety ER4S and my Archos AV420 with MP3 (all at 256K)

I LOVE getting new toys!!!!!! :dance:

The first thing I did was hook the DAC to the Pioneer DV-563a as a transport. Driving my Sony SA5000?s (Siltech wired). This is with essentially zero hours. Out of the box with my Sony?s the sound is a little bright. The bass is very heavy, almost overpowering. I expect both characteristics to improve with break-in. There is however a chance that my Sony?s are not the headphones for this amp.

I then moved the amp into my bedroom. It?s being driven via USB from my computer. I hooked up my Ety ER-4S. Right now I am listening to Shostakovich String Quartets Nos 7-9 The Brodsky Quartet. This sounds very nice, considering that it?s mp3 burned at 256K.

I just now plugged in my Acoustic Energy Aego (The original model) powered computer speakers using a 1/8? to RCA cable. It sounds better this way than using my sound card.

I?ll be playing the amp and DAC non-stop for the next couple of weeks.

My only criticism at this point is that it would be nice to have front panel controls for switching between the digital inputs and the analog input. I think that ultimately I am going to end up using two digital inputs along with the analog input. Methinks I?ll become an expert of the reach-around. ;D

IJWTS that you don't have to mention that you have siltech wire everywhere it's possible to have it. We get it. It's your company, you use the wire, you like it. Pretend we all assume that everything you own, even your toilet paper rack, is made from siltech wire.

The first thing I did was hook the DAC to the Pioneer DV-563a as a transport. Driving my Sony SA5000’s (Siltech wired). This is with essentially zero hours. Out of the box with my Sony’s the sound is a little bright. The bass is very heavy, almost overpowering. I expect both characteristics to improve with break-in. There is however a chance that my Sony’s are not the headphones for this amp.

I then moved the amp into my bedroom. It’s being driven via USB from my computer. I hooked up my Ety ER-4S. Right now I am listening to Shostakovich String Quartets Nos 7-9 The Brodsky Quartet. This sounds very nice, considering that it’s mp3 burned at 256K.

I just now plugged in my Acoustic Energy Aego (The original model) powered computer speakers using a 1/8” to RCA cable. It sounds better this way than using my sound card.

I’ll be playing the amp and DAC non-stop for the next couple of weeks.

My only criticism at this point is that it would be nice to have front panel controls for switching between the digital inputs and the analog input. I think that ultimately I am going to end up using two digital inputs along with the analog input. Methinks I’ll become an expert of the reach-around. ;D

Sorry, but I feel that cables make a significant impact on a system. Since I was writing about the sound of my system I set the context, especially when the headphones have been rewired.

Why the fuck does it bother you when I mention what cables I use? It certainly can?t be because you think that I?m trying to sell my cables by bragging about them on Head-Case. I?ve often thought that if only I marketed to the 218 malcontented members of Head-Case it would finally push Siltech past Monster Cable.

FYI. I have 302 posts on Head-Case, and out of all of those I have mentioned Siltech 12 times. Your correct, it's all I write about.

Do me a favor and turn on the language filter, then make Siltech the only filtered word. You fucking BuzzKill.finger.gif

Sorry to harsh your mellow, man. Go back to your buzz, and just ignore what I have to say. Where I come from, when someone does something annoying, you tell them. That's why I didn't ban you, edit the post, talk about you in areas you couldn't get to, or dismiss you. I just pointed out an annoying tendency. You don't want to listen, then don't. I don't think you are marketting to headcase, but even if you were, I don't mind marketting. I just mind annoying.

It was just the two posts in rapid succession that got to me. I did a search, and you're right, my perception didn't match reality. You have posted about other things more often than your recabling. I apologize for exaggeratting the extent of your self promotion.

Everyone who has heard my SA5000?s agrees that they are a different animal, this is why whenever I write about them I mention the re-cable. I was under the impression that Head-Case was a Headphone oriented forum, and that therefore writing about equipment and the cabling of headphone systems is encouraged.

If I had posted similarly in other threads I would certainly understand your annoyance, however this thread was started to share the joy about my new Headphone amplifier. Is it really that surprising that I wrote about other items in my system in a thread that I started about my equipment? How am I supposed to react to your irrational annoyance?

So dear readers help me decide. I could?

1 ? Ignore it.

2 ? Never ever mention my equipment again.

3 ? Wherever and whenever I post from now on I can squeeze in a mention of the annoying product.

beatdeadhorse.gif

Please forgive my dwelling on this. I was up till about 4am (not willingly), and I got about three hours sleep. My head is pounding, and I can barely see straight. Today is going to suck big time. Obviously suicide is my only viable option

I did apologize in the previous post. However, what triggered my annoyance was your mention of your rca cable in one post followed immediately by the mention of the recable in the other post, where neither seemed (to me) to be relevant. But whatever, you are free to annoy me, just as I'm free to annoy you.

daifuku.jpg

I?ve been using the Suicide line for over twenty years. It?s a joke. What?s funny? The fact that I call suicide ?Viable? is insanely ludicrous. I find it funny, always have. Very few people find it funny, but I continue to say it. It tickles me.

I am seldom annoyed. I?m usually the annoyer. It's my Super Power ;D

Actually, I'm glad he mentioned it. I have a tendency not to read thoroughly, so when he mentioned the Sony's as potentially not being the right headphones for the amp, I was going to ask what headphones, but went back and re-read his post first. And of course the next choice is wired. Sony's are typically bright headphones to me, the only one that could possibly have too much bass to my ears is a woodied CD3000.

So yeah, go ahead and mention them every time you post. We may have heard it for the umpteenth time, but someone who just joined the forums will be hearing it for the first.

OTOH, don't do the whole Welly Wu/Cardas thing, wherein you have to mention it in every post, including the off-topic "how do you like your chocolate, dark, milk, or otherwise?" threads.

48 hours in and the highs are recessing somewhat (Becoming less bright). I?m digging the sound of the amp driven from my computer via USB with my K501?s. FYI My computer does have Siltech tuning weights on top of the case, and I am wearing my Siltech Boxer Shorts, I have little doubt that the sound would be better if the Siltech boxers weren?t two sizes too small. tantrum.gif

;D

Hi Ethan, glad your digging it. Sorry it took so long to make it over to you, but seems like it was worth the wait.

I traded Ethan the system for some SILTECH interconnects. The cables are dedicated to our Wadia-Orpheus unbalanced connection. It's a pretty big price to pay for a pair of interconnects...but it was worth it!

Shilling? Maybe. Intentionally designed to annoy? Yup. Geez, mellow out! I thought this place was free for all.