Minimax DAC with ESS Sabre32 chips

skullguise

Per 6Moons news snippet:

October 2009 - MiniMax DAC?- Bill O'Connell of Morning Star Audio, the US importer and co-owner of Eastern Electric, announces a DAC based on the new ESS Technologies 32-bit ES9018 Sabre chip. This machine will have volume and gain control, RCA and XLR outputs, RCA/BNC/Toslink/XLR and USB 2 or higher digital inputs and sell for $600 pre-ordered, $700 once the first shipment hits US shores. A valve output stage option is under consideration too.

I've liked their products I've had or heard, this sounds pretty nice. Sounds far enough off, we'll see if it comes in with that estimated price intact....

It would be tough (not impossible) to build a Buffalo32 for that. :eek:

Buff32 kit w/ power supplies = $529

Two trafos = $42

Parts total = $571

No case, limited input capability, no accessories (connectors, switches, blah). I agree, pretty impossible to imagine a completed build coming in much under ~$800 for just parts.

My guess is that the EE product won't have anywhere near the power supply or output stage complexity that the TP kit does.

It would be tough (not impossible) to build a Buffalo32 for that. :eek:

Agreed (and I like your smiley looking like your Avatar)

I'm always pleasantly amazed that Eastern Electric builds as good sounding stuff at such cheap prices. Far East manufacturing helps obviously, but it goes beyond that.....

Buff32 kit w/ power supplies = $529

Two trafos = $42

Parts total = $571

No case, limited input capability, no accessories (connectors, switches, blah). I agree, pretty impossible to imagine a completed build coming in much under ~$800 for just parts.

My guess is that the EE product won't have anywhere near the power supply or output stage complexity that the TP kit does.

Yep, totally agree, at that price I absolutely cannot see it having the I/V stage or PSU. I think if you are really clever and can scavenge parts, including a case, you could match that price with a Buffalo, but only if you consider your time worth 0 dollars. Anyway, it looks like it could be a great way to get in on the ESS DAC "bandwagon".

Well that's great if your time is worth $0. I do not think the Buffalo32 is overpriced, but then again I have never been accused of being a cheap-ass mofo. I think it is more a comment on the difference in labor costs between the US and the far east. So I guess you should put the popcorn ......

away.

Well that's great if your time is worth $0. I do not think the Buffalo32 is overpriced, but then again I have never been accused of being a cheap-ass mofo. I think it is more a comment on the difference in labor costs between the US and the far east. So I guess you should put the popcorn ......

All I'm saying is one can get boards stuffed cheaper in China than in some middle-class working dude's toaster oven. One's time in China is worth slightly more than $0, at approximately $3 per hour.

edit: doh, we're saying the same thing :palm:

Edited by luvdunhill

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbee so be gentle.

Yes, we are making this DAC but to clarify, the power supply will be robust as we believe it is a must, It will be shielded also from the rest of the DAC . It will have a volume/gain control also.It will also have a toggle switch so you can either bypass the tube output or run it with the tube. Sorry for the waiting time but we have to build them all once we receive all the components, then shipping by boat usually takes 18-21 days and then to clear customs takes another 5-7 days. If you want though we could air ship directly to your door for single units, a little bit more expensive but we can.

Anyway, thanks for your consideration.

At $645 preorder price, it could be the best money ever spent.

Kindest Regards,

Bill O'Connell

North American distributor for Eastern Electric Audio components