Decware SE84C

crappyjones123

Received this kit a few weeks ago and after working with it on and off i have the board populated. before i actually start the casework, if anyone has any comments/concerns/suggestions regarding just the soldering portion or anything else for that matter please feel free to post them. i have very unsteady hands so some of the pictures might be out of focus. my apologies.

anyhow here are some pictures. the output transformers are allegedly custom wound for decware. thats about all i know about them. no clue as to the output impedance and what not. el cheapo el 84's from leeds radio in nyc. didnt want to use any expensive stuff while the amp is still in the testing stages. got an assortment of 5 6922's from ebay.

post-835-12951155211548_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155217179_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155223745_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155227879_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155232919_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155237477_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155242486_thumb.jpg

Other than being wasteful of solder and unattractive, is there really any functional problem with solder joints like these?

My suspicions, and they are purely suspicions, is that lead free solder was used at too low of a temperature. I'd have to see the other side of the joint to be sure that adequate wicking was taking place, but this would be my concern.

solder is on both sides of the board. will post pictures of it later. i was doing what george at tubelab suggested. put the board between two books and let gravity do its job with the solder so the component is held in place.

lead free solder was used. and i did solder at supposedly low temperatures (600F) as i was scared i might damage the board/parts by setting it too high. now it has come to my attention that 600F is a little low. +1 for luvdunhill :)

I think the best way to evaluate solder joints is to look at the OTHER side of the board. Ideally the solder joint looks almost the same on both sides of the board. Sometimes this is impossible because the PCB hole size is too small or the component lead is too wide

My soldering is usually like this on 'easy' joints...... but ground plane joints, almost never :(

lead free solder was used. and i did solder at supposedly low temperatures (600F) as i was scared i might damage the board/parts by setting it too high. now it has come to my attention that 600F is a little low. +1 for luvdunhill :)

Yeah, if you have a 'cold' iron on the part for a long time, you are more likely to damage the component than a hot iron for a short time.

Just like kitchen knives. You are much more likely to hurt yourself by pushing hard with a blunt knife, than using much less force with a very sharp knife.

email that i sent to steve deckert (owner of decware)

"I have the whole amp wired up right now just to test everything and have a few problems.

1. The output transformers or one of them is making a high pitched noise. Its continuous.

2. There was a burning smell about 30 seconds after I turned on the amp. I turned it off immediately. I haven’t turned it on still.

The voltages are as follows,

A – 343.5V

B – 300.1V

C – 8.64V

D – 3.061V

Attached are pictures of the amp currently.

Any ideas would be appreciated. "

all voltages are within spec.

post-835-12951155284484_thumb.jpg

post-835-12951155290598_thumb.jpg

post-835-1295115529351_thumb.jpg

Next step would be to make sure you have the right resistors in all the right spots and that all caps are pointing the right way. I would also reflowt all solder joints to just make sure there aren't any cold ones. Please make sure the caps are fully drained before touching the board though.