sound dB limit for infant?

TC_Shadow

Wow....

:palm:

Have you been around your baby? Have you noticed he/she is very sensitive to any sounds?

Should this give you a hint to only play music very quietly?

yes, yes and yes.

That's why I asked for a "range" so I know the min dB I need before babies can't hear it anymore (I wasn't clear in the title to say the min limit, I can understand why you assume limit automatically means "max")

yes, yes and yes.

That's why I asked for a "range" so I know the min dB I need before babies can't hear it anymore (I wasn't clear in the title to say the min limit, I can understand why you assume limit automatically means "max")

I don't think audiophiles will know the answer to that. And if someone did give you a range, would you really trust the source?

I some how doubt there was a study done for such a thing as well. Common sense dictates to keep it very quiet.

HERE is a good place to start. Basically, at birth an infants hearing is, on average, very close to that of an adult, on average. I would certainly start on the quiet side and also not play music with huge dynamic peaks. If you can hear it then it is highly probable that the child can hear it. I certainly would not claim that playing classical music will make one smarter but it also is likely to have SOME effect. There are actually quite a few studies in the primary literature. When our son was born I did do a bit of research.

I personally think the "Mozart effect" is a bunch of BS but that's just me. Well, my music history teacher thinks the same. Listening to classical music temporarily boosts IQ or spatial reasoning? Most of the smart people I know don't listen to classical and then there's music majors.

Well, no offense to your music teacher but my guess is that he/she did not have many courses in neuroscience or developmental biology. It is not about IQ, it is about neural pathways and how they are constructed during development (with development being in the broad context of the time between fertilization and death). Since our understanding is pretty primitive at the moment, it may be prudent to keep an open mind. Bottom line is it is unlikely to hurt anything as long as the sound levels are kept low. Even if it does nothing more than provide a safe and sharing environment that is likely to be a positive for emotional and cognitive development.

I agree that it doesn't hurt, but right now I'm not really a believer, based on my personal experience. Also, I dislike how people group "classical" music into some kind of complex, serene, neural pathway building exercise. In fact, it contains some of the most dynamic, chaotic, arrhythmic, stress-inducing sounds one can conceive. Even some Mozart is quite exciting.

Yes. There is a difference between sensing and hearing.

The electrochemical gradient required by the stria vascularis is far too energy intensive for the oxygen content of the blood at that stage of development.

Given our current models of physiological demands which may not be entirely correct. I prefer to be less didactic and remain open to the possibility, but your point is well taken. I am also not out to proselytize this theory.

.... Also, I dislike how people group "classical" music into some kind of complex, serene, neural pathway building exercise. In fact, it contains some of the most dynamic, chaotic, arrhythmic, stress-inducing sounds one can conceive. Even some Mozart is quite exciting.

Oh, I agree completely but I do not think that the music necessarily needs to be serene, although some people may say that. I also agree about the Mozart. ;)

Nice choice of words and open mind, which I guess leads to my main point. Personally I think the main cause of a child's ability to think and do well is due to the parents caring enough about nurturing their children to go through all these steps, which may or may not be proven to have an effect.

Haha, I'm glad you got my slight jab at Mozart.

Edited by mypasswordis
whoops, wrong word

Given our current models of physiological demands which may not be entirely correct. I prefer to be less didactic and remain open to the possibility, but your point is well taken. I am also not out to proselytize this theory.

Well, it has been 10 years since I studied this stuff, but it is a pretty fundamental thing that would need to change. Though I doubt you'll find many direct studies on human infants...... :o