Magnepan 1.7

deepak

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with used and new ELSs is the ability to drive them well. You will need a big powerful amp for most of the good ESLs. Hard to find one that sounds very realistic and good, is cheap and can drive ESLs well. Hope you find the right combo.

IMO the Pass Labs XA amps sound very good. I would like to hear Atma-sphere amps. ymmv, I am not a SET lover :P

Dusty: no I think I am ok with my headphones but I'm waiting to hear what trusted folks have to say about SR-009, also just waiting for my ESL hp amp.

Great speakers in a well treated, appropriately sized room are more enjoyable than headphones to me, but I will keep the high end hp setup because they are fun too.

unless you don't have a perfect listening environment.

It does not have to be perfect, but yeah if room sucks, neighbors bitch or kids are a sleep it might present a problem to speaker enjoyment. So far I was fortunate to be able to listen in fairly good rooms without much problems. Headphones are a large part of my listening due to the fact that I listen a lot late at night and speakers are not an option with kid sleeping in the other room. Planar speakers, my ESLs for example, are better for late nights since sound does not seem to propagate as much as with dynamic speakers in my experience.

Edited by faust3d

anyone had the chance to listen to the new Martin Logan Electromotions?...are they rubbish?...I haven't been overly impressed by most of their speakers, but I'm slowly putting together a 5.1 system & don't have room for Magnepan/planar...

Never heard Electromotions but ML were never my cup of tea, they always have a disconnect somewhere in the mids and strange FR response in general IMHO.

anyone had the chance to listen to the new Martin Logan Electromotions?...are they rubbish?...I haven't been overly impressed by most of their speakers, but I'm slowly putting together a 5.1 system & don't have room for Magnepan/planar...

I've never liked a single ML speaker besides the original CLS but these "new" ones just appear to be the same crap, rehashed once more.

Do you live in a noisy area? Do you listen at low volumes on speakers vs headphones? Just curious. For the record I come from speaker background, that is I was about 15 years into system building audiophila thing when I got into headphones. :blink:
Yes, I live in a noisy environment -- do you live in a monestary? Or a ...wherever it is that nuns are? Or an abandoned velvet-lined stone fortress? Because short of that, headphones are almost always quieter than a speaker environment. And even when it is, you had to have gone to a lot of effort to achieve that, which adds a psychological, "waiting for the other shoe to drop" pressure. To me, anyway.

I listen on relatively low volumes with both.

And yes, I totally agree that there's the whole isolation vs. background noise thing, but to me, it's more than that. I have heard excellent speakers on a well-controlled room, and they still seemed more diffuse than headphones. I mean, when you're straining yourself to understand lyrics, don't you subconsciouly do the ear equivalent of squinting your eyes, and try to lean up closer to the speaker? You're already doing that with headphones.

I'm not saying that speakers aren't more enjoyable for you (and Jacob and most of the rest of the population), but you touched a nerve when you said "critical" listening.

they seemed more diffuse because headphones don't present standard two channel recordings properly. for critical listening i prefer a live performance over a couple beers.

For critical listening you should not be tainting your mind with the alcohols!

Never heard Electromotions but ML were never my cup of tea, they always have a disconnect somewhere in the mids and strange FR response in general IMHO.

I've never liked a single ML speaker besides the original CLS but these "new" ones just appear to be the same crap, rehashed once more.

this was my thinking before i posed the question...thanks...

• 8 months later...