Review of 404LE - can't really find it

forbigger

You guys should've done a review. What you guys said may affect the sales and who knows might sold out and become collectors item like HF2. Glad the hear that this headphone bettered the ESP950.

That doesn't sound like something most of us would care to do, or be of real benefit. Why would we want limited headphones we may want to become harder and more expensive to purchase? I guess maybe get Stax to give us more new stuff, but they don't seem to care what people on forums (at least in this country) want.

Nice... I'll definitely be very interested in a 404 vs. 404 Mk2 (vs. 404LE) comparison later on. Lambdas (edit: except the SR202) ftw.

Yeah, that sounds fun. What is this 404 mk2 though? I dunno what it was, but I too didn't care for the SR202 either really when we last heard them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what the Mk2 is, I just saw someone mention in the HF Stax thread that such a thing existed but don't know if it's actually real. If it is, doesn't seem like it has hit the North American market yet. In regards to the SR202, I thought it didn't have very good extension in both bass and treble and it had a kind of plasticky sound. It definitely helped to plug it into the SRM-1 Mk2 though since I thought Dusty's amp (I will never remember the model number) also sounded kinda plasticky, and also grainy in the treble. I don't remember beyond that.

The SR-404II is supposed to be "normal" version of the LE i.e. old parts but with drivers which don't suck. As for the 202, I compared it directly against the LE off my old T2 and it was damn close. The 202 isn't as precise and a bit rough around the edges but they are an excellent bargain in my book.

Forbigger- another reason you might not see a proper review is the people that own them (other than HPA?) are veteran members and don't really do reviews because reviews are lame :)

Couldn't have said it better. We post impressions, nothing more. Reviews in every shape and form are idiotic (with very few exceptions such as Darthnut and some of the older Stereophile headphone reviews) and often only showcase the authors lack of basic knowledge of electronics and experience with similar gear.

... showcase the authors lack of basic knowledge of electronics ...

Ouch! I'm never going to post anything ever again!

Hmm, does barely knowing how to use a multimeter to bias tubes (and do nothing else with it) count?

Well, I could do a 404LE review on HF, using an SR-SC1 instead of a 404LE which I've never heard. I just need to get pics from somewhere. But Forbigger doesn't trust me. :( So there's no point.

Hmm, does barely knowing how to use a multimeter to bias tubes (and do nothing else with it) count?

Well, I could do a 404LE review on HF, using an SR-SC1 instead of a 404LE which I've never heard. I just need to get pics from somewhere. But Forbigger doesn't trust me. :( So there's no point.

You own Omega 2, of course I trust you. Damn, I must trust you......

Justin - I think I"m going to head over to your place in a few hours to drop off my 404LE while I'm out of town this week, so you should get a chance to hear it sooner than you think.

I think the 404LE is terrific - probably my most musical pair of headphones with much fatter and harder-hitting bass than the pair of normal-bias Lambdas I have (which I also love). I expect to have an ESP950 on hand next week as well... although I don't think I'll be able to justify keeping all these 'stats in my stable in the long term.

Justin - I think I"m going to head over to your place in a few hours to drop off my 404LE while I'm out of town this week, so you should get a chance to hear it sooner than you think.

I think the 404LE is terrific - probably my most musical pair of headphones with much fatter and harder-hitting bass than the pair of normal-bias Lambdas I have (which I also love). I expect to have an ESP950 on hand next week as well... although I don't think I'll be able to justify keeping all these 'stats in my stable in the long term.

Thanks again! If you could, could you also bring the SRM-1/Mk2? It makes it easier to compare between 'stats and most people don't use SRD boxes because they're too good for them or summat so I don't want to invalidate my opinions (though I think the SRD boxes sound good). If you can't that's fine too.

Justin - understand you're dead busy but pls post your brief impressions if possible.

Yeah Justin, I would very much like your opinion on the 404LE as well.

Your fine if it doesn't say "Review" in front of it. :rolleyes: What strikes me with most of these "reviews" is the sheer lack of ability to wade through the bullshit manufacturers spew so they just copy it word for word. Other manufacturers see this and are also keen to get the rubber stamp treatment so now we have a lot of these crap reviews.

for the sake of my knowledge, has anyone listened to 4070? I know its a tad away from O2 (price wise) but does this beast has its own unique sound sig or rather share its sig to the rest of the family ? If it shared to the rest of family then which series does it closest resemble? Appreciate if anyone can fill me......Just curious only. Thanks

I have 4070s and I guess I would say they are somewhat similar to the SR-Omega in that they are more lively, forward and punchy than the O2. The closed nature of the 4070 makes them pretty much different from anything else in the Stax line but they share some SR-Omega traits.

Ah, so they do still have some closed sound attributes? Hmm...

------

404LE Initial impressions (I'll do a "final" impressions on Friday or Saturday after I spend a bit more time with it, and go a bit more in-depth):

Aesthetics/functionality: The pads look nice and fit me just fine. They are very comfortable and I don't have a problem with heat building up in my ears over time. The 404LE is a lot heavier than the other Lambdas but this is probably just because of the massive cable.

Sound: Comparing to the Lambda Pro and Lamba Sig, the 404LE obviously has the most tilt to toward the bass, as I expected. The bass easily extends to 30Hz and rolls off after that, and in fact may even have a slight hump around the 35-45Hz range. Bass amount goes 404LE > Pro > Sig. This by no means imply the Sig lacks bass. The 404LE also has a slightly rubbery coloration to the sound, whereas the Pro has a slightly tizzy coloration, and the Sig has a slightly smooth coloration. To further explain the rubbery sound, notes sound slightly stuck and if playing a note were analogous to poking something rubbery and feeling that little bit of rubbery bounce, instead of a clean hit.

The 404LE has the least amount of air to the sound, probably because of its somewhat recessed treble. Sometimes I feel even vocals are a bit recessed, which is the opposite of the Sig, in which I feel sometimes the vocals are too forward. But this frequency tilt makes sure even the crappy recordings sound good, and a lot of the time with other headphones I hear a bunch of background hiss, there is virtually none on the 404LE. All in all, I do not feel the 404LE is in another class from the other Lambdas but I can see how some would prefer this sound to some of the other Lambdas.

Comparing to the AKG K1000, the sound of the 404LE is quite a bit darker. I would say the Lambda that is closest sounding to the K1000 is the L Sig, though the K1000 has less forward mids.

I'm thinking after the meet I will let Aman take home with him the Pro and the Sig if he wants to do his own Lambda shootout.

Ah, so they do still have some closed sound attributes? Hmm...

??

thanks Voltron, if thats the case then what makes is inferior to O2? (aside from one open and the other closed) The assumption I have always have is that 4070 has always been like a "expensive bastard child" in a stax family line up

I don't know what your assumptions are, but I don't think the 4070s are inferior to the O2s. My order of ranking is SR-Omega > 4070 > O2. People don't like the 4070s for various reasons, such as weight, closed backs, too bright, etc, but the reality is not that many people have even heard them, and even fewer have heard them side by side by side with the two Omegas on an amp good enough to drive them all well.