Review of 404LE - can't really find it

forbigger

Folks, been searching high and low for review of this headphone but couldn't find an extensive review on it. All the infos are scattered here and there. One impression I found at HF during Dutch meet was some folks prefer this than HE60, did any of you agree with this statement?

All the statements I found also said that this is an entirely different can than 404 Sig in a good/better way.

Another question, this can is 1000 limited production with a price point not far from HF2 (was offered around $600 new), why is it still relatively available ? I mean its not that difficult to find new unlike HF2 which sold out already. Is it because its a stats thus not many people are interested ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard the 404LE or SR-SC1 which some say are similar to each other, but the Lambdas i've owned and heard are just not as musically satisfying as the HE60. Even with lesser Stax amplification, the HE60 sound more refined to my ears. I was hoping to hear them from a BH, but sadly it looks like that won't be happening anymore.:( My only gripe was lack of bass quantity, slightly etched mids, and highest treble, plus its slightly diffused nature. If the BH cures that, than the HE60 would be mighty fine and able to compete with the very top headphones from a technical aspect. From a musical aspect, I think they rank among the highest already.

The 404LE is to me what the SR-404 should have been all along, the marriage of the L-Signature and the LNS. This rumored SR-404II might give us that in a cheaper package which would be cool but those leather pads on the LE and the black frame are worth the price difference...

The 404LE is to me what the SR-404 should have been all along, the marriage of the L-Signature and the LNS. This rumored SR-404II might give us that in a cheaper package which would be cool but those leather pads on the LE and the black frame are worth the price difference...

:D couldn't agree more. I would take a SR-404LE over the ESP-950 as well.

I dunno, in my opinion there is still a large chasm between the 404LE and ESP950, HE-60, SR-0, and SR-007 (haven't heard the 4070). Granted, there is a price difference (and reliability difference in some cases), but it's a price-performance ratio that is well worth it.

Closer than expected may not be very close, depending upon your expectations. ;)

I dunno, in my opinion there is still a large chasm between the 404LE and ESP950, HE-60, SR-0, and SR-007 (haven't heard the 4070). Granted, there is a price difference (and reliability difference in some cases), but it's a price-performance ratio that is well worth it.

What are your rankings? Or do you just mean they sound very different? In which case, what are your rankings?

The SR404LE are very nice headphones, I actually got to listen to a few tracks today in relative quiet during the not so silent auction, using JP#'s tubed exstata and Ari's cdp-deq2496, and really dug it. A certain redhead, who shall remain unnamed, sounded simply superb.

Heh, I'll try and clarify. I just cannot see myself owning the 404LE. They don't do anything better than any of the headphones I listed and the cost differential in my opinion is minimal for the huge upgrade (good point Jim, but again, it's a big difference IMHO). I prefer Stax over Sennheiser and I think the SR-007mkI is still the top dog.

Forbigger- another reason you might not see a proper review is the people that own them (other than HPA?) are veteran members and don't really do reviews because reviews are lame :)

You guys should've done a review. What you guys said may affect the sales and who knows might sold out and become collectors item like HF2. Glad the hear that this headphone bettered the ESP950.

You guys should've done a review. What you guys said may affect the sales and who knows might sold out and become collectors item like HF2. Glad the hear that this headphone bettered the ESP950.

I doubt anyone cares about the former. And they are sold out in most countries. Elusivedisc got their last shipment from Japan with this current batch.

I think the SR-007mkI is still the top dog.

x2

;)

Edited by deepak

I do definitely prefer the shape of the SR404sig pads, and am even an unabashed SR404sig fan. The ltd, while sounding quite good, just didn't fit as nicely or be as comfortable.

Nice... I'll definitely be very interested in a 404 vs. 404 Mk2 (vs. 404LE) comparison later on. Lambdas (edit: except the SR202) ftw.