Audeze LCD-2

swt61

But.... but.....  it sounds GOOD, doesn't it.....  That's gotta be good, right..?   

Your casting of aspersions as to the dubious nature of the purchasing of such a piece of audio equipment is of inestimable value to the High Fidelity community at large.

But, then again, if it is not in Mikhael territory, it's gotta be OK.  Please tell me it's not....!

This is the the classic, we have this guy doing it that you've never heard of before so it has to be good.  Let's see some specs and not even compare it to the Dynahi but just the pure bipolar. 

I also truly don't get why it isn't balanced.  In this marketplace and at these prices, it has to be.  Simple as that. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2011/12/15 at 9:04 AM, kevin gilmore said:

I'll actually be making the balanced hd800 cables first. The wire is already a twisted pair of

#22. ( 7 strands of #30) 1957 was evidently a great year for teflon cable.

I think think that everyone should be making their cables with a 4 pin xlr, then make 4 pin xlr to 1/4 adapters,

and 4 pin xlr to dual 3 pin xlr adapters.That covers everything.

The only reason why i was going to make new cables is that the ones that came with birgirs set were

absolute garbage.

Kevin, how to make a good cable for hd800 (better than the stock ones)?

No idea what the status is here, so I am wearing my hard hat just in case.

I know someone who had an 009 repaired recently after channel imbalance. It was inside warranty (just) so Stax made 2 new drivers and they got fitted by the repair centre. Stax do state that the 009s and any of their headphones must not be used by a non Stax amplifier or they may be damaged. I have no idea if that is true, if Stax are simply saying non Stax amps are outside their warranty claim (understandable), or that non Stax amps can indeed damage the headphones?

But I was thinking, how do they damage the headphone? If the current 727 amp is 400 volt rails (as the Carbon for example), and the bias is the same 580v how can they be damaged. Stax amps can and do go wrong, and so they could damage the headphone regardless.

On the Carbon as an example, I have read here it is very accurate and stable even on switch on, so to me, it may be 'safer' than a current Stax amp especially the tube units that go out of whack. Any thought guys?

First off, why is this in the LCD-2 thread?  <_<

Second, the 727 has 350V rails so it can't really produce enough voltage to kill the drivers. 

Now there are two main ways to destroy electrostatic drivers, over voltage on the stators which shorts out the D/S gap and causes an arc and then there is simply destroying the high resistance coating on the diaphragm.  Now the first one is simple, keep the max voltage swing below bias*2 and you should be good.  This is voltage peak to peak so roughly 1200V for Stax pro bias.  This is insanely loud but the BHSE, Carbon and KGSSHV will easily reach those peaks but you also need a very high input voltage. 

The second part is a bit more complicated.  Now for all intents and purposes, there should never be any current flow on the diaphragm.  It should hold a charge but said charge should be a constant and never change.  Now we live in the real world and it simply doesn't work like that but the charge has to be carefully controlled as little current flow as is possible. 

When we design amps we account for these things so none of our amps should ever damage the headphones if they are built correctly.  We can't control what others do but if follow our lead then they should be safe.  This brings us to the people who really don't know what they are doing aka Woo Audio, Cavalli and RSA.  Those amps aren't safe and in some cases are guaranteed to destroy your headphones. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, spritzer said:

First off, why is this in the LCD-2 thread?  <_<

Second, the 727 has 350V rails so it can't really produce enough voltage to kill the drivers. 

Now there are two main ways to destroy electrostatic drivers, over voltage on the stators which shorts out the D/S gap and causes an arc and then there is simply destroying the high resistance coating on the diaphragm.  Now the first one is simple, keep the max voltage swing below bias*2 and you should be good.  This is voltage peak to peak so roughly 1200V for Stax pro bias.  This is insanely loud but the BHSE, Carbon and KGSSHV will easily reach those peaks but you also need a very high input voltage. 

The second part is a bit more complicated.  Now for all intents and purposes, there should never be any current flow on the diaphragm.  It should hold a charge but said charge should be a constant and never change.  Now we live in the real world and it simply doesn't work like that but the charge has to be carefully controlled as little current flow as is possible. 

When we design amps we account for these things so none of our amps should ever damage the headphones if they are built correctly.  We can't control what others do but if follow our lead then they should be safe.  This brings us to the people who really don't know what they are doing aka Woo Audio, Cavalli and RSA.  Those amps aren't safe and in some cases are guaranteed to destroy your headphones. 

Because, he knows that you will be on a look out on anything related to stats Birgir. :)  

Edited by purk