Audeze LCD-2

swt61

I don't want artificial soundstage, just a normal one. I was getting bigger soundstage on my closed Audio-Technica W5000 than on LCD2 now. I have an impression that on LCD2 it is a bit compressed.

Nice pic:)

So, you want to hear more of the artificial "soundstage" of electronic music soundtracks? I suggest Astral Hangers from http://www.coconut-a....com/index.html

That's an idea! But for the time being I'd rather not interfere with the headphones themselves, but work on my source/DAC/tubes in my amp. I've heard some DACs sound bigger in soundstage and the same thing with tubes in amps. I wonder how big the differences can be...

Try replacing the thick dampening material on the back with something less dense

Thank you Tyll.

With a greater soundstage they would be ideal headphones for me!

By the way, is the soundstage of stock LCD-3 bigger than LCD2 rev.2?

It's the nature of the beast. The only way to improve it is to mod them. Here's a start:

http://www.head-fi.o...k-a-toiletpants

The HD800 is the way to go for great imaging, but they need modification as well to get rid of the piercing sound.

Actually I am not looking for any artificial effects, but out of curiosity I might try a spatializer. Thank you for the links.

Reproduction of "Stereo" sound is an artificial effect.

I'm not interested in drinking liquor, just Whiskey... what you just said.

I'm not interested in wearing sports shoes, only Adidas.

I dont drink beer, I drink Pabst! (Ok, so this one is kind of true)

It's the nature of the beast. The only way to improve it is to mod them. Here's a start:

http://www.head-fi.o...k-a-toiletpants

The HD800 is the way to go for great imaging, but they need modification as well to get rid of the piercing sound.

Or software EQ :P

Fixing the treble spike in the HD800 is infinitely easier than fixing the soundstage on orthos... IMO at least.

I'd still upgrade the source to something better than the iPod. You could get a DACport LX for $249 and play your digital music through that out of your laptop, and the soundstage is bigger than the one from an iPod with line out dock. If you must use the iPod, look for one of those SRS labs devices that plugs into the bottom of an iPod, and put that between the iPod and the amp. I haven't tried that, but the software version was sometimes fun to play with - not accurate, but fun.

Partly agree...then I would like to avoid extra special effects. If drinking liquor, I would rather stick to pure whiskey, not whiskey +cola.

I am not a big fan of HD800, I prefer the sound of LCD, but soundstage could be bigger. Anyway I will start with upgrading my amp tubes and getting better source.

Thank you all for help!

Reproduction of "Stereo" sound is an artificial effect.

I'm not interested in drinking liquor, just Whiskey... what you just said.

I'm not interested in wearing sports shoes, only Adidas.

I dont drink beer, I drink Pabst! (Ok, so this one is kind of true)

Or software EQ tongue.png

Fixing the treble spike in the HD800 is infinitely easier than fixing the soundstage on orthos... IMO at least.

Thanks for recommendation. My budget for a DAC is up to $500 (no USB input needed as I am going to use USB-SPDIF converter).

Any other recommendations for a DAC with big (but not artificially expanded) soundstage?

I'd still upgrade the source to something better than the iPod. You could get a DACport LX for $249 and play your digital music through that out of your laptop, and the soundstage is bigger than the one from an iPod with line out dock. If you must use the iPod, look for one of those SRS labs devices that plugs into the bottom of an iPod, and put that between the iPod and the amp. I haven't tried that, but the software version was sometimes fun to play with - not accurate, but fun.