Audeze LCD-2

swt61

You could alternatively get a Pico DAC. They seem to go for cheap on the other site (or at Justin's site). I got mine in a minty condition for 150$. Love the sound and I'm pretty convinced that it's the last USB powered DAC I'll ever buy.

Also no one will mistake it for a small sex toy.

My DL III in 96K upsampling mode sounded a lot like a Stello DA100, i.e. warm, spacious and refined; and in 192K mode it's a little brighter and more spacious sounding. I thought this second setting was a good match with my old Woo GES and Stax SR-007 headphones, to keep them from sounding too dark or closed in. I didn't like the fact that the upsampling shouldn't affect the tone or soundstage, yet it did and couldn't be disabled. Also, the DLIII didn't handle decoding the high jitter Apple TV optical output without audible artifacts as well as the Stello does. If you have a good S/PDIF transport then it's not really an issue.

I heard the Bifrost/Lyr combo at RMAF with LCD-2 r2 and really enjoyed it a lot. But I didn't directly compare it to anything. I know it sounded good enough that I wouldn't mind owning one, but I can't comment on the soundstage size. I know nothing of the specs and haven't read any reviews that I can recall. In the past I've heard the Cambridge Audio DACMagic ($399), and thought via coax input it was really nice and spacious, but it seemed less detailed than the Stello DA100 and Apogee mini-DAC in direct side by side comparisons. And, it wasn't very good via USB, so good thing you don't need that.

The DACmini is right up there with the DLIII and DA100, sounding a little more like the DLIII in 192K mode. It's built-in amp is perfect for the LCD-2 as well. If I had to pick just one, out of the ones mentioned, that would be it. But it's $795. It has one of the best 24/192 USB DAC I've tried though. I use the coax input with an iPod digital dock, and the USB input sounds just like the Coax input.

I think all of these are a little better than the Nuforce HDP ($450) which really needs the linear regulated power supply to shine (another $300).

Looks like DLIII could be a winner here. Maybe Bifrost would be great, too (would be great to know how they compare). DACMagic might be not resolving enough for LCD2.

As I can see it's a bit hard to evaluate the sound of a DAC (especially certain aspects like soundstage) as the differences in how various DACs sound tend to be much smaller than between for example different amps.

I already have Schiit stuff (Lyr) and Schiit Bifrost DAC could naturally complete my setup. Bifrost is said to be neutral sounding (which I think is a very good thing for a audio source), but at the same time I am not sure if it has large enough soundstage to improve it in my LCDs

Anybody compared Bifrost to DLIII or other DACs (up to $750)? Anyone knows good DAC within this price range that have both good overall quality and large soundstage (esp. width and height as LCDs are deep enough already)

My DL III in 96K upsampling mode sounded a lot like a Stello DA100, i.e. warm, spacious and refined; and in 192K mode it's a little brighter and more spacious sounding. I thought this second setting was a good match with my old Woo GES and Stax SR-007 headphones, to keep them from sounding too dark or closed in. I didn't like the fact that the upsampling shouldn't affect the tone or soundstage, yet it did and couldn't be disabled. Also, the DLIII didn't handle decoding the high jitter Apple TV optical output without audible artifacts as well as the Stello does. If you have a good S/PDIF transport then it's not really an issue.

I heard the Bifrost/Lyr combo at RMAF with LCD-2 r2 and really enjoyed it a lot. But I didn't directly compare it to anything. I know it sounded good enough that I wouldn't mind owning one, but I can't comment on the soundstage size. I know nothing of the specs and haven't read any reviews that I can recall. In the past I've heard the Cambridge Audio DACMagic ($399), and thought via coax input it was really nice and spacious, but it seemed less detailed than the Stello DA100 and Apogee mini-DAC in direct side by side comparisons. And, it wasn't very good via USB, so good thing you don't need that.

I'll second the Headstreamer recommendation. I'm amazed by how well it separates sounds in a mix. I've not heard a larger soundstage from a portable, so it works well with the LCD-2s. Just make sure to get a resistor adapter if you ever plan on using it with IEMs. The noise floor is the Headstreamer's only weakness.

And as a bonus, you can use it with a Galaxy S3 or Note 2 for insanely good portable sound.

Who are you and where's Birgir?

Sorry about that, that was my evil twin brother Syrgir!! chair-hit.gif

...the only word in Icelandic that rhymes with Birgir....

He's right though, the HD800 is the best dynamic transducer I've heard. Almost as clean as the HE60 which is no small thing. The LCD-2 is fun but the top end is quite limited and the bass has issues.

• Like 1