Harbeth 40.1 or Audio note AN-E LX signature.................

tom_hankins

WOW... Just got back. What an amazing setup. He took me through all kinds of different vinyl. My favorite was the 45 RPM Metallica. Just AMAZING. Got to hear some new stuff as well: Hugh Masekela, some Jazz from Japan on the Three Blind Mice label, Satchmo Plays King Oliver, Allison Kraus - So Long So Wrong, some Lyle Lovette and a BUNCH of others. Thanks for having me over Tom, I really enjoyed it. Oh, the speakers are HUGE compared to my baby Harbeth's. I think there will be some SHL5's in my future.

WOW... Just got back. What an amazing setup. He took me through all kinds of different vinyl. My favorite was the 45 RPM Metallica. Just AMAZING. Got to hear some new stuff as well: Hugh Masekela, some Jazz from Japan on the Three Blind Mice label, Satchmo Plays King Oliver, Allison Kraus - So Long So Wrong, some Lyle Lovette and a BUNCH of others. Thanks for having me over Tom, I really enjoyed it. Oh, the speakers are HUGE compared to my baby Harbeth's. I think there will be some SHL5's in my future.

I need to become a Harbeth dealer :)

Had a great time, next time at your place. I hope these things continue to open up more every day.

Three Blind Mice label has really nice recording on it and sound quality is always very good, I bet it sounded amazing on Tom's system. :)

I always found Harbeth's a bit dark and soft on top for my taste do 40.1 sound a dark in your setup?

I would say these (40.1s) are darker than the SHL5s i had. i would say my system as a whole would lean more towards dark than bright side of the fence. The BAT gear, is also a little on the dark side.

I would say these (40.1s) are darker than the SHL5s i had. i would say my system as a whole would lean more towards dark than bright side of the fence. The BAT gear, is also a little on the dark side.

What I like about 40.1 that while being a bit dark it's still very detailed and open sounding. Please update use as these break in and you find perfect position form them. Usually takes me a few weeks to get speakers placed so that soundstage is zeroed in.

On the other note, does anyone here know of modern alternative to TDL/IMF type speakers? I remember listening to them some time ago and really liking that accurate sound with deep punchy bass. Stuff like Wilson and Karma that cost many time more sounds inferior to my ears. I was thinking about picking up original TDL Monitor M, but replacement drivers are very hard to find, so that's stopping me now, that and their huge size :)

The soundstage has really opened up. I think the perfect placement will be using the one third method on these. I am going to keep them where they are as far as side wall, and toe in is now, and bring them into the room another 15" (one third). I am then going to bring my listening position in about two feet closer to the speakers. (from 10' to 8') that will be where i start from for final positioning. After this i think I will talk to Jim Smith (since hes local) about coming in and doing his magic. The bass is completely different than when the speakers got here. It was really thick upper bass and not much depth.

tuneful, deep, and fits with the rest of the freq. range just right now.

Its taken a few days but the Harbeth magic that got me to buy these in the first place has really come on and my thoughts of if I'm going to keep them or send them back are firmly in the keepers camp now.

I'm getting to point where I'm listening with "House Money". Anything these speakers do better after more play time or when i move them is above what i had hoped for. Soundstage has moved almost completely behind the speakers and pretty much fills in wall to wall with lots of depth. I like the way they stage fairly high. I cant believe these monsters are do the dissapearing act! back to the tunes. :)

On the other note, does anyone here know of modern alternative to TDL/IMF type speakers? I remember listening to them some time ago and really liking that accurate sound with deep punchy bass. Stuff like Wilson and Karma that cost many time more sounds inferior to my ears. I was thinking about picking up original TDL Monitor M, but replacement drivers are very hard to find, so that's stopping me now, that and their huge size :)

Check out PMC. Like the TDLs they're transmission line speakers and they're from the same family of sound as the Harbeths. I've only heard the lower to mid-level products from Harbeth and PMC so I don't know how their big speakers sound like.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of the AN-E sound. As a former Snell type "e" owner, I always liked the sound.

But I can't say I've heard them with anything but the whole Audionote set up.

Harbeths sound like a brand I need to give a listen to..

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Tom, heartiest congratulations on your purchase. Hope you enjoy them....As an owner of the Compact 7s, I can imagine what the 40.1s must be sounding like.....

A question Tom: Have you disposed your HL5s yet or planning to????? If yes, I would be interested...

They sold to a guy right here in Atlanta. As far as I know, hes happy with them.