i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

Then you have to use the angle brackets and build it T2 style.

But then you can't get it all in one standard box.

I'm open to suggestions.

define standard? I'm going to be using angle brackets, and have plenty room given the boards are 4 inches across

edit: oops, you were emphasizing the word "one" - yeah, it definitely requires two boxes

Edited by El_Doug

Does the increased voltage and biasing from using the side mounted sinks version substantially improves the SQ or is it more subtle?

I'm leaning towards the on-board sinks version, as the build would become much much easier to do, but I can definitely do the heat-sink drilling and tapping if this yields substantial improvement.

Does the increased voltage and biasing from using the side mounted sinks version substantially improves the SQ or is it more subtle?

Likely this is going to be very subjective. I'm not sure we have even heard comparisons between the KGSSHV and KGSS in audio-fool terms yet.

The other question would be device longevity and how much the on-board version pushes the envelope in terms of die temperature. Isolated packages have a higher thermal resistance than their non-isolated counterparts, so if someone has build this without using the isolated parts, they should expect (slightly?) higher die temperatures with this version, depending how the non isolated parts were mounted.

Edited by luvdunhill

I feel a challenge coming on, cram a KGSSHV into a single chassis.... ;)

This is exactly what I intend to do. A project like this deserves an appropriate presentation. I'm thinking something like a souped-up version of a '60's style Fisher receiver chassis and cabinet. Lots of wood and brass. Shouldn't be any problem with the on-board heat sink version .Make it whatever size is required. Once you get into it, chassis work can be as fun and creative as the electronics. Definitely don't want something that will be mistaken for a generic P.C. out of "Best Buy".

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm looking at the power supply image, and assuming the lead spacing for the .1uF cap is 27.5mm and 22.5mm, the .22uF cap looks like it is setup for a 27.5mm lead spacing part than a 22.5mm part... Just want to make sure, because TAW electronics does not have 22.5mm wima cap in stock.

Edited by ujamerstand

See post #954 for the provisional BOM that KG posted.

He references Mouser p/n: 5989-1KV0.22-F

The datasheet lists 22.5mm for the lead spacing on this part.

Both the 0.1 and 0.22 are indeed 22.5mm, measured directly on my sample board.

Edited by Lil Knight

Is anyone doing a board run for the PS and side mount amp boards? Sorry if it was mentioned earlier but I didn't notice it.

if you missed out, I ordered an extra set that I almost assuredly won't be using (i only got it in case I somehow managed to break the first board). it's yours :)

Edited by El_Doug

I found these new heatsinks on Mouser which are almost identical to the Aavid ones listed in the BOM:

588-FA-T220-64E

The pin size is 0.091" compared to 0.093 for the Aavid and the other measurements are almost the same.

Also, I hate asking for favours, but a couple of the components are "restricted availability" and I can't order them online from Mouser:

DSEP12-12A (1200V Rectifier) x32

IXCP10M90S x12

If someone could help me out with these (the listed figure is enough for 4 amps) I'd be very grateful. :)

Edit: My BOM and board info was out of date and I didn't know about Future Electronics.

Edited by Currawong

since I do not fully (read: at all) understand how the amp works, can anyone explain the specs required for the 5pf cap? 200v are impossible to come by anywhere on the web, so far as i can tell. better yet, a link to an in-stock alternative would be fantastic :D

since I do not fully (read: at all) understand how the amp works, can anyone explain the specs required for the 5pf cap? 200v are impossible to come by anywhere on the web, so far as i can tell. better yet, a link to an in-stock alternative would be fantastic :D

The 5pf caps can be spec'd for 1KV and work fine.

They're listed in a recent KGSSHV BOM and are currently in stock.

Mouser p/n is: 75-561R10TCCV50