Speaker audition - what, why, when and how good

faust3d

I don't think there is a general "I just heard these cool/sucky speakers" thread so I figure I can start one.

I was thinking about consolidating and maybe getting my system down to two pairs: a nearfield monitors for late night listening and full range speaks for all out assault. So that is why I have being annoying a lot of hi-end sales people nowdays ;)

Yesterday I went to a few shops in NYC to listen to some stuff. First was a system with Devore Gibbons 9 with Shindo and Lab47 gear behind them. I did not like what I heard unfortunately. Dry and grainy, with shallow bass and strange coloration. I listened for an hour with a lot of different music.

Listened to Leben and Primaluna amps with different Rega, Spendor and Dynaudio monitors as well, not bad but SAPs with my gear are somehow much more "real" sounding.

Next were Adam Compact Mk3 with Musical Fidelity gear, much better fuller sound, still something was off, but I think it was Musical Fidelity stuff adding it's color. HF were very very nice, open detailed and extended.

I think SAPs will stay for near filed, but search for good full range continues.

I plan to adulation a lot of stuff to get an idea what to look for so I hope to post more impressions latter. Post your impressions if you auditioned speakers, it's always great to read various opinions of gear :D

Some of the larger Coincident speakers might be up your alley. I've seen older models 2/3 or less off retail on Audiogon. There are very few box speakers that have really impressed me. And the ones that did are all quite expensive :/

Edited by deepak

"...adulation..." -- Freudian slip?

"...and full range speaks for all out assault" -- sounds to me you want something with a bit of dynamics, so no Magnepans. Unless you're going to double or triple or even quadruple them.

I wanted to correct that adulation remark but edit option was all gone :) Magnepans are not going to work for me, I listened to 1.7 few weeks ago and as main speakers it's not something that I would get.

Some of the larger Coincident speakers might be up your alley. I've seen older models 2/3 or less off retail on Audiogon. There are very few box speakers that have really impressed me. And the ones that did are all quite expensive :/

Mid-size model looks good sporting ribbon tweeter, I got to check them out.

Some of the nicer Ushers are really fine speakers, and no stranger to "all out assaults". Not sure what the dealer network looks like out there, though.

I'll be giving a test to the little gallo strada monitors for a travelling system.

I remember listening to a larger Ushers model and not liking it, but that was a long time ago. What models did you like?

I like the Eben line of speakers, but they are out of my price range... so, I managed to OEM one of the ribbons and am pretty close to getting it singing. Pretty nice sounding speakers, IMHO.

Doesn't Raidho use all made in house drivers? Did you buy a woofer/mid from them as well?

Some of the nicer Ushers are really fine speakers, and no stranger to "all out assaults". Not sure what the dealer network looks like out there, though.

I'll be giving a test to the little gallo strada monitors for a travelling system.

You can also try Cabasse. I've never tried them myself. They seem gimmicky but about the same size as Gallo stuff.

You can also try Cabasse. I've never tried them myself. They seem gimmicky but about the same size as Gallo stuff.

Cabasse are very good, at lest their larger speakers are. I really liked Kara, but it's way out of my price range and I rarely see them used.

I remember listening to a larger Ushers model and not liking it, but that was a long time ago. What models did you like?

I had a pair of CP-6311 on loan for a time, and they worked well for me.

I'll definitely look into them. I really didn't care for the Gallo 3.1s when I demoed them a few years ago (sounded awfully gimmicky), so I don't anticipate liking the Stradas much.

Travel system? Aren't they fairly huge -- and dare I say, too nice -- for travel? They're basically the upper section of a Gallo Reference 3.1, aren't they?

The upper section of a 3.5, yes. This is a unique sort of travel, though, one in which I stay for a year or two then move again, likely across oceans. In making a big deal about what sort of loudspeakers would be required for this application, I've been given permission to go to hi-fi shops and test loudspeakers lately. It's been wonderful.

Aw, I love the looks of the Gallo Reference 3.1s, I wanted to audition those badly.

Just get the Gallo 3.1s and don't bother with mid-fi audio events. I am curious to hear the new 3.5s and the smaller Strada setup (monitors plus sub) but the 3.1 is one of the major audio deals around. Not picky about amplification, etc.

Just get the Gallo 3.1s and don't bother with mid-fi audio events. I am curious to hear the new 3.5s and the smaller Strada setup (monitors plus sub) but the 3.1 is one of the major audio deals around. Not picky about amplification, etc.

Agreed. Used to own the 3.0's. They DO shine MORE with better amps, but indeed are not so picky. When I sold them, I demo'd them with a cheaper Jungson 88C integrated, 80wpc; they soudned pretty darn good even with that.

Then I hooked up a Belles 250i integrated, 120wpc (and a great amp, I miss it; the guy I sold mine to is selling it on Audiogon). Made a NICE difference, the extra watts provided that much more dynamic punch....as well as every other part of the sound being much better. But they were still quite good even with the cheaper amp.....

• 2 weeks later...

Had another "audition day" today. Listened to Devore Silver-backs with ASR Audio - Emitter I amp, very nice combo and not harsh at all unlike the Devore/Shindo system I listened to before. I really like how ASR integrated sounds, but I think it's a bit overpriced, oh well.

Next were VTL ST-85 amps and Rogue MOON 350P pre with Vandersteen 2Ce Anevesary speakers. Very nice combo for less money, but something was off, as soon as we switched the pre to VL it sounded much better, reminded me again why I don't like Sim stuff, very colored to my ears.

Vandersteen 2Ce with VTL had excellent imaging and overall great sound with some detail a bit smoothed over. ARS with Silver-backs were good across the board but lacked a bit of that oooomph (that I like sometimes) and warmth , I guess it's how Devore speakers sound. ASR amp is something I don't mind getting over to my home for further investigation, good stuff.

Still I am surprised how nice my "budget" system sounds in comparison, the search goes on...

• 3 weeks later...

Most of what you might audition at retail is probably gonna suck. Last time I did, none of the speakers were acceptable at even half what they were asking. Try to hear some PSBs and see if they fit the budget and sound you are looking for. I bought some psb bookshelfs for the office and they crushed my fancy pants French monitors.

Thiels - owned 3 pair, never completely happy with them.

Last very good reasonably priced pair I heard were DSPeaker-DSPeaker Servo 300Pro. Course you can't here these anywhere either.