Crack;Bottlehead OTL

ironbut

posty doesnt have to worry about the 2399 anymore. :facepalm: it is in safe hands. (well not yet).

ps. posty is super cool.

pps. would that dact pot require any sort of resistors is series/parallel? or just drop it in and go to town. also any ideas on whether the stock hole in the top plate will accept the dact pot. same question for the tkd pot.

Meh. Just get this...

DACT CT2 50K Stereo Stepped Attenuator (New) on eBay.ca (item 280537303175 end time 18-Oct-10 10:37:40 EDT)

You'll never have to second guess the quality of your pot.

I listen fairly quietly; a DACT doesn't have nearly enough steps.

pps. would that dact pot require any sort of resistors is series/parallel? or just drop it in and go to town. also any ideas on whether the stock hole in the top plate will accept the dact pot. same question for the tkd pot.

You should try and keep the input impedance at 100k, so a 50k series resistor is a good idea with a 50k pot.

The TKD requires a new mounting hole, and I suspect that the DACT would too.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I bought a TKD 2CP2511 50k pot for my Crack build, and I need a sanity check. Resistance across input (pin 1) to gnd (pin C) is a constant 43kohm regardless of pot rotation, which makes perfect sense. But the resistances across the input and gnd to the output (pin 2) while turning the pot are baking my noodle.

When moving from minimum volume up, pin 1 to pin 2 increases in resistance from 43kohm to a maximum of 59kohm at about 1/3 of the pot travel, then drops steadily to 10ohm.

Pin 2 to pin C jumps very fast from 10ohm at minimum volume to about 3kohm in the first few degrees of rotation, then moves steadily up to 43kohm for the remainder of the rotation.

Clearly, these TKD's don't behave like normal pots, and there is a PDF on their website explaining that their rotary faders are 'ladder' circuits. Is this the full explanation for what I am seeing, or am I just going nuts?

Useful references: datasheet and an explanation of their ladder curve.

Edited by Beefy

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to taking proper photos of my Crack......

crack2.jpg

crack4.jpg

Highlights:

TKD 2CP2511 50kohm pot

50kohm 1W PRP resistors in series with the pot for approx -6dB pre-attenuation

Cardas RCA jacks (rhodium plating is a BITCH to solder)

Teflon tube sockets plus PCBs (Woo Audio branded)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new caps are otw. just got the wood case back from the guy i had asked to glue it and give it a clear coat. looks rather nice without the packing tape i must say :)

on a side note, past few weeks i had been listening to the jh16s exclusively. just went back to the 650 after 3 weeks. jh16s seem so closed by comparison :( perhaps its just the new toy syndrome all over again. resolution is far better on the jh16s but the feeling of music not playing inside my head is not present. me likey. me likey very much.

• 2 weeks later...

for the past 2 days ive noticed this really high pitched whiny noise coming out of the right channel. audible without music. with music i just know its there because the music doesnt have any notes that high. if i unplug the headphones and plug them back in, it goes away for like a minute but then comes back again. using 421a and amperex 12au7 (bugle boy). any thoughts?

new caps are otw. just got the wood case back from the guy i had asked to glue it and give it a clear coat. looks rather nice without the packing tape i must say :)

on a side note, past few weeks i had been listening to the jh16s exclusively. just went back to the 650 after 3 weeks. jh16s seem so closed by comparison :( perhaps its just the new toy syndrome all over again. resolution is far better on the jh16s but the feeling of music not playing inside my head is not present. me likey. me likey very much.

This is why I can never get into IEMs, they all sound so closed in (inc JH universals).

for the past 2 days ive noticed this really high pitched whiny noise coming out of the right channel. audible without music. with music i just know its there because the music doesnt have any notes that high. if i unplug the headphones and plug them back in, it goes away for like a minute but then comes back again. using 421a and amperex 12au7 (bugle boy). any thoughts?

Aside from trying different tubes...... are you perhaps getting DC leakage through the caps? Check the DC offset.

Try switching tubes, cables, channels on your source to isolate the problem.

Also, take your set up into a distant room and try it there. It could be airborne digital or something that's leaking into your grounds on that household circuit( a different house would be definitive).

Hi guys,

Got a Crack coming in as my first DIY build to write an article on. I'll do the basic build first, then the Speedball upgrade.

Then I'll no doubt re-read this thread and start making a friggen $1000 amp out of it with all the good ideas here.

Thanks for the great thread! No noise Head-Case FTMFW.

lol you need we 421a's first. and some bugle boys. and mullards. and hytrons. and rca's. and 5998s. and 6080s. and 6as7g's. and moar 421a's. thats like $1000 right there :)

post pix dood. it is quite good for a cheap(ish) amp.

ps. completely forgot about using motor run caps throughout the amp. :D

Edited by crappyjones123