Google Android OS

manaox2

Liberty installed, important apps restored, contacts resynced, all in under a half hour with no fuss, no muss. It's like getting a new phone. It runs so much better without the moto-bloat and makes me sad that I waited this long to do something about it. Thanks for the help and for the Fancy Widgets rec, I owe you one!

I have a Palm Pre right now but want to switch to Android/4G. I am with Sprint so my choices are Evo and Shift (or Samsung Epic but I don't want to get that one). I guess they are pretty comparable: similar speeds, both need an extended battery but the Shift is smaller with a keyboard hardware. So I am thinking Shift. Any clear winner between the two? I don't want to switch carriers also.

I test drove the Thunderbolt the other day. It's the first touchscreen phone I've been able to type accurately on without severely degrading typing speed. I was impressed. The phone definitely felt pretty quick, and I'm sure it would only improve with bloatware removed. Still, I'm not quite ready to bite, between never having paid for a phone before, not being too keen on early-adoption, and still wondering exactly what will come out that's better in the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...
Prerooted leak of gingerbread released for Droid X and Droid 2 today. Stock, its getting better benchmarks then the thunderbolt. Blur is claimed to be MUCH improved and may be actually enjoyable. Debating when I'm going to give it a shot.

I put it on last weekend. It is extremely nice. It is noticeably faster and smoother then even Liberty 1.5 with more features. It has some very nice customization, all kinds of animations including a very cool CRT screen animation, and its blue. It is unrootable so far natively, but you can flash a prerooted version you can find over at mydroidworld.com to help remove any bloatware and prepare for other mods later. Gingerbread is honestly a large step up in almost every way, overclocking it would be practically detrimental.

In other news, some multiple fairly reliable sources now say Verizon and several other networks are quickly preparing currently to seriously crack down on all forms of unpaid tethering soon. Be wary.

Shazam is da bomb for naming most music, but it doesn't seem to work for classical. Searched online, and can't find anything - anyone know of a Shazam type app for classical?

Did you try Soundhound?

Edited by manaox2

Thanks for Soundhound, Manaox.

So far: couldn't identify the Brahms Trio #1, but it did get the Beethoven Pathetique Sonata. Obviously, it didn't get the correct performers, but that may be asking much. :lol:

I'm guessing there is too much out there, and not enough of a market to make it worthwhile. But maybe it'll improve over time.

I'm guessing there is too much out there, and not enough of a market to make it worthwhile. But maybe it'll improve over time.

I don't know if it allows users to add the proper tags after listens, but it would help. There is an enormous amount of classical music and enormous amount of performers playing the same pieces. Even separate pieces being similar to many others in some ways. It seems like that might make a hard task compared to popular more modern music.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I broke down and ordered the Thunderbolt. It'll be my first Android (well smartphone, for that matter) experience. The cancellation/delay/whatever of the Droid Bionic, the Droid Incredible 2's lack of 4G, and the overpriced, somewhat ugly nature of the Droid Charge, convinced me that I'm not going to be missing much in the near future.

Well, I broke down and ordered the Thunderbolt. It'll be my first Android (well smartphone, for that matter) experience. The cancellation/delay/whatever of the Droid Bionic, the Droid Incredible 2's lack of 4G, and the overpriced, somewhat ugly nature of the Droid Charge, convinced me that I'm not going to be missing much in the near future.

You didn't happen to do it on Saturday, did you? Verizon stopped doing 1 year contracts on Sunday, which is a shame. The Thunderbolt is a solid machine (played with a co-worker's the other day), but it's the age of dual core right now, and in another year, it will be be Tegra2 and dual core Snapdragon (and A5/whatever Samsung calls their chip) from here on out. Once software catches up and utilizes it (6-10 months for majority adaptation), the single cores (even 2nd gen Snapdragon) is going to feel a little sluggish. By the 16-18 month mark, when quad-core tablets are all the rage, and quad core phones are trickling out... the single core phones are going to be nigh upon painful.

**BRENT**

Very nice Brent and Nate!

I still haven't bought an Android phone. I am thinking of getting the Google Nexus S. It will only be a single core phone but we have a Sprint Premier Gold plan so I should be able to get another phone after 12 months (once I call up Sprint and tell them that I should be the primary phone on the plan). By that time, there should be plenty of dual core options (and I don't like the look of the Evo 3D phone).