3" subwoofer - is it even worth it

dBel84

I find myself in need of a sub - not room shaking high level bass but responsive low end. I have seen a few really good options about but they are all big cubes which have zero aesthetic acceptance from my better half. I thought of placing a low profile unit below the media rack and found a 3 inch long throw ( xmax still limited at 5.5mm ) and a horn loaded design which in theory should produce decent bass 25-100Hz.

Anyone have any experience with subwoofers? My instinct tells me I need max surface area with large excursion to reliably produce decent low end but with the trend of things getting smaller in the modern world, I am open to accept that technology has succeeded in producing a good small subwoofer.

thanks..dB

I've been a fan of two way monitors + sub for quite some time. I think that the M&K speakers of the early 80s struck a chord with me.

IME, for music a 10" sub is generally the best balance of deep bass and speed. I have a hard time imagining that a 3" sub can reproduce enough low end energy, but I've been mistaken plenty of times before.

I've always wanted to build a credenza style cabinet that would incorporate 2 10" active subs. One which my components could sit on top of.

A custom cabinet could be built in almost any configuration, as long as the internal volume is tailored to the woofer. It could even be built into the back of a CD storage case, side table or curio cabinet.

BTW Don, thanks for the package. I'm still discovering the music therein! :)

Edited by swt61

Well I really love the monitors but I do miss that low end presence that my towers have. The towers use 2 x 5" mid woofers but then have a folded port and produce energy down to 30-35Hz. Not loud but then my preference is low level listening. The monitors actually shake to floorboards when driven to "normal" ( normal for most folk - ie cannot speak over them ) but I prefer low dB but with all the detail. The idea of utilizing a portion of the media cabinet is pure genius :-) ..dB

and you are most welcome steve

My Silverline Preludes go to mid-to-low 30's with 2 x 3.5" drivers. Not hair-blowing air movement, but they are tuneful and deep enough to not scream for subwoofer usage. I would think, if not a single 3" dricver, than maybe a small array of 3" drivers, would be kind of cool.... I think Audio Pro used to have a couple subs in years pasdt with several smaller drivers (6" I'm thinking) to get depth and speed.....

Do you know what the parameters for the WAF (placement size aesthetics)? There are things like under the couch subs (though this might be too much bass). Like the others have pointed out 3 inch seems a little crazy/ridiculus. If you have a a chance I would try to check out folded horn subs, I was amazed at the quality of bass these produced over my ported subs. Some good ideas here (ib, etc) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/60504-another-small-subwoofer-thread.html

I may just go ahead and try build this, if it is total fail at least I will have some reference. The low profile tube concept appeals more than the standard box and can be made to fit unobtrusively. It would also work with the linkwitz circuit for better integration..dB