PS Audio NuWave Dac (NWD)

skullguise

Well a sucker am I. I ordered last night and even found a super cheap DAC to trade in. I figure even if I don't like it their return policy sounds very generous. Hope it actually ships soon; back when I ordered the mkII kit for the PWD it took two months longer than I expected.

I guess this means the CD player doesn't count.

Edited by shellylh

Shitfire! 20! I thought I was nuts having four. I mean, I am nuts, but...

PS Audio PWD, Stello DA100, Nuforce DAC-100, CEntrance DACmini and DACport, Audioengine D2 and D1, Headroom Micro DAC, Pico DAC-only, Nuforce HDP, two Nuforce uDAC, two Nuforce uDAC-2, Nuforce uDAC-2 SE, Nuforce uDAC-2 Gold, iBasso D4, Stoner Audio UD100, Hifimediy SABRE DAC, Penguin Amp DAC cable. Plus a few DAC amps combos with no line-out, like HiFiMan EF2, Meier 3MOVE, Practical Devices XM5, Vivid Audio V1, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Nuforce Icon desktop, Travagans Green, and a Creative USB DAC with 3D crystalizer.

PS Audio PWD, Stello DA100, Nuforce DAC-100, CEntrance DACmini and DACport, Audioengine D2 and D1, Headroom Micro DAC, Pico DAC-only, Nuforce HDP, two Nuforce uDAC, two Nuforce uDAC-2, Nuforce uDAC-2 SE, Nuforce uDAC-2 Gold, iBasso D4, Stoner Audio UD100, Hifimediy SABRE DAC, Penguin Amp DAC cable. Plus a few DAC amps combos with no line-out, like HiFiMan EF2, Meier 3MOVE, Practical Devices XM5, Vivid Audio V1, Nuforce Icon Mobile, Nuforce Icon desktop, Travagans Green, and a Creative USB DAC with 3D crystalizer.

Do you like any of those?

Not sure if serious, but yeah. My top performers are PS Audio PWD, Stello DA100 signature, Nuforce DAC-100, CEntrance DACmini and Audioengine D2 wireless DAC. I would not want to get rid of any of these right now.

My favorites with high performance/weight ratios are the DACport and Pico DAC-only, which I also plan to keep a long time. The HDP with S11 PSU is at or above this performance level depending on the rig it's in, but not as portable. The S11 makes a big difference in it's performance. This one is expendable if need be, as are all the ones below, although I don't plan to get rid of any for the time being.

The uDAC-2's, iBasso D4, HR Micro DAC, and Audioengine D1 are pretty good portable DACs and just below the above three (based on their line-out performance). I probably don't need any of these with the above DACs around. That's followed by the tiny Hifimediy SABRE and Stoner Audio portable DACs which do not suck one bit as a DAC but do a poor job driving headphones. The rest of the DACs are not as good, and are based on PCM2706/2702 or C-media chips but often have a nice amp built-in.

Heh, I wonder if my $49 Penguin Amp DAC cable counts. Except I'm gonna be like monkey with DACs soon - I have about 20 DACs total now, so no NuWave for me. Yet.

I am pretty sure it does - when they are saying any DAC working or not as part of their deal. I ordered a Fiio d3 specifically to trade in for this purpose. But after conversing with PS Audio they are hung up on having a serial number... I'm still waiting for the got dam d3 to come to even see if it has a serial number.

Edited by Mr.Sneis

I think you need to thin the herd and buy one more excellent DAC.

This is good advice IMO, and what I did. I'm down to 3 very good DAC's for main systems: NAD M51, Neko D-100 Mk II, and the coming NuWave. One small desktop DAC for work, the Micromega MyDAC. I also have a UDAC 1, UDAC 2 HP, & HDP from Nuforce; and an Audio Engine D1; the smaller non-powered ones I can use for travel. But even those extras will be cut down a bit, or more likely lent out to friends.

I think i peaked at about 12-13 DAC's at my worst. You just can't use that many, they end up sitting around collecting dust. I can at leats say all my nicer DAC's (the first 4) are in use in various systems.....

I have one DAC in the office, one with the tv/speaker setup, one in the big rig, and one desktop setup (which is in the same room as the main rig).

The reason that I have two setups in the same room is that we have so many sudden huge thunderstorms, I keep my main rig unplugged except when I am using it. I keep the desktop setup always plugged in (GS-1 + ECD-1).